Where has my desktop gone?

freefx 23:06 13 Jan 04

o/s WinXP Pro

I can get the logon screen but when i log on, it says 'loading your setting......; and then the welcome screen( i think it is the welcome screen) appears but the desktop with all my normal icons and task bar, quick launch bar, etc etc not there. That means i cannot use the PC. Just a background with no icons to click on! Tried log on to other usersm and get the same result.

It is a PC connected to the cable modem. the other PCs which are connected to it can still access the internet with no problem.

So can anyone tell me how can i get my usual desktop back? Believe some system files must have been corrupted.

Djohn 23:12 13 Jan 04

Second one to-day! ;o) click here may be the answer to your problem. j.

Gaz 25 23:12 13 Jan 04

Anyway, you could see if leaving it means it has time to come on.

If not, it sounds as though you would have to repair windows. This does NOT in most cases delete ANY of your files. Redownload all the windows patches after though as system repair deletes the windows updates.

VoG II 23:18 13 Jan 04

Boot from the CD

Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

freefx 23:28 13 Jan 04

I certainly can have a go with the REPAIR but sound scary though. Will all my data files stay intact? Does REPAIR replaces system files only and nothing else? Do i have to re configure my network settings?Will i lose all my emails? etc etc

VoG II 23:30 13 Jan 04

It only does the system files. It does not change any other settings. However, as always, back up anything essential before doing this.

freefx 23:41 13 Jan 04

Remember I cant backup my files as i cnnot use the PC as there are no icons, startup menu, etc etc. All i can do is to copy whatever shared files with the other pcs across the network.

Hi guys, i have to give this 'REPAIR' a thought for a few days. Need to do a bit of planning here. So I will stay away from this thread for a while and will come back again at later date to update you guys of the outcome. For the time being thanks to everyone for your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…