Where to fit anothed HDD

Biotech 23:04 18 Jan 06

Hello - I have 2 SATA drives as RAID 0, I also have a secondary IDE controller with nothing connected to it. I would like to add another HDD for backing up or creating an image(been reading €d Stowes boring thread), however, the only bay remaining is situated between the existing drives. Is it advisable to stack 3 drives on top of each other or is there some add-on cage that could be obtained, been searching but have come up with nothing so far.

DieSse 23:10 18 Jan 06

Since you want to use the drive for backup, an external USB (USB2 for drives, for speed reasons) or Firewire (if you have it) may be a better solution.

You can then remove your backup drive from the system, which is safer under some fault conditions.

Strawballs 23:12 18 Jan 06

Do you have enough power supply plugs.

woodchip 23:13 18 Jan 06

I will go with DieSse on that one.

DieSse 23:19 18 Jan 06

*Is it advisable to stack 3 drives on top of each other*

Not really - they do get quite hot, and this will stop ait circulating around them.

*is there some add-on cage that could be obtained*

In many years I've never seen one. You could try and find one from an old case - friendly computer shops often throw away very old cases - then mount it in the bottom of the case yourself.

DieSse 23:20 18 Jan 06

or even air !

woodchip 23:22 18 Jan 06

Sometimes you can hang a drive on the screws into the top edges of the drive, to the bay just under the Floppy disc

Biotech 23:29 18 Jan 06

Thanks for replies have all power and mobo connections but lack a bay so looks like an external.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac