where to download win98 bootup disc

canard 14:17 22 Aug 04

Please where do I go online to download win 98 bootup disc?

stalion 14:20 22 Aug 04

try here click here

canard 17:22 22 Aug 04

Thanks stalion- I tried this and it didn't work. The neighbour's pc has stopped working. It's not the monitor and all connections have been tested. The drive goes whirring round when the PC is switched on so it must be a major somthing wrong.

Graham ® 17:25 22 Aug 04

Which drive? Any beeps to speak of?

pj123 17:31 22 Aug 04

Give us some sort of clue. What computer is it? What operating system is it running? What BIOS does it have? etc...

canard 17:40 22 Aug 04

All I know is Win98- HP3400. There are 3 little beeps at switch on -not at all like my PC's 1 beep followed by 3-and the kids who use it say that's how it always sounds. The disc runs round but NOTHING appears on the monitor. I'm totally ignorant about bios. The PC was passed on from an elderly relative- has no start up disc or windows95 disc but worked OK on Sat and has been OK for several years. Recently it got Netsky and this was cleared with stinger and AVG installed , updated etc.

Graham ® 19:30 22 Aug 04

Not my own words! 3 beeps:

Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard.

canard 21:37 22 Aug 04

Thanks Graham- but as NOTHING appears on the monitor and no little lights on keyboard can't check without resort to PC innards- quite beyond my scope. All I know is that SOMETHING needs replacing. Neighbour will phone Dixons domani [our only available help] to enquire likely source of damage and cost of repair. Meanwhile kids are in mourning.

canard 16:30 23 Aug 04

Unexpected happy ending- the kids PC refused to turn on all yesterday and this am UNTIL their Mama did the polishing. She applied elbowgrease and the PC sprang into life!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…