Where do the Windows Icons live?

CLONNEN 21:56 26 Dec 05

I am trying to find out WHERE the icons that appear on Windows Shortcuts etc. actually live.

Specifically I am looking for the icon that belongs to the Windows Imaging program on Windows ME - does anybody know where it resides on the system?

I have tried right-clicking on the kodakimg.exe program and selecting Properties but it doesn't seem to tell me where it is getting the icon from.

Any hints?

Kev.Ifty 22:06 26 Dec 05

In XP If you right click the Icon on the desk top and select Properties.

You then, in the new window, have a Change Icon button.

Clicking on this brings up an assortment of usable Icons. There is also a 'Browse' button, which when selected, opens explorer and you can search the various programs for icon files.

If you want to create a new one IrfanView click here is a handy program which enables you to convert most pics to icon files.

Hope this helps.

Kev.

woodchip 22:08 26 Dec 05

Just type Icon in search

ade.h 23:00 26 Dec 05

Or .ico, which is the most common icon file extension.

CLONNEN 12:18 27 Dec 05

Found it!

Right-click on its shortcut in Programs - Accessories and click Change Icon

It is icon 0 in the Kodakimg.exe file - I previously thought icons only lived in files with a .dll or .ico extension (no wonder I couldn't find it).

Now I can use this icon in my homemade installation program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…