Where do i find my wireless switch

DF2005 16:59 27 Sep 05

Bought a new Laptop for my daughter to go off to college. She wants to be able to send emails etc and not always use the college network. So I tried to see if I could get on the Web remotely. The laptop would not connect and a dialogue box came up saying the "wireless switch may be turned off". It failed to tell me where to find it.
So,
1 Does anyone know where to look?
2.What are the implications of activating it?

Answers as non techy as poss pls.

mco 18:00 27 Sep 05

well on my laptop there is a switch on one side which has a sort of antenna symbol by it and an on/off selector. So you could try looking for that. I assume you have wireless in your house to check you can get on it?

Jackcoms 18:15 27 Sep 05

Alternatively, go to Start; Connect to; Show all Connections.

You should then see, inter alia, an antenna symbol. Right clicking on that symbol/icon should give you the option to activate/de-activate the wireless connectivity.

The implications of activating? Probably not a lot.

If the PC detects a wireless network connection in the vicinity - be it a hotspot or your neighbour's wireless network - you should be asked if you want to connect or not.

Totally-braindead 18:22 27 Sep 05

If you post back with the make and model of the laptop someone may be able to give you precise instructions.

wjrt 22:36 28 Sep 05

instruction manual for ours was on CD which came with laptop. Pressing Fn plus F1 toggles wifi on and off. this is centrino processor.

TelH 11:41 12 Nov 05

I have the same problem I cannot find a switch on my tiny laptop. if any one can locate it for me I would be most grateful

Jackcoms 15:54 12 Nov 05

Did you bother to read my post of 27/9 at 18:15?

There is no such thing as a wireless 'switch'.

tarkus 09:38 13 Nov 05

Sorry but your wrong a few laptops, Toshiba, Packard Bell and a couple from Dell do have a switch on them somewhere to enable or disable the wireless antenna

ade.h 18:23 13 Nov 05

HP has too. It's a button next to the keyboard.

theboxes 13:56 14 Nov 05

Yeah on my tiny its an antenna looks like a Y with an extra bit on the "1" toggles with Fn

woodchip 15:49 14 Nov 05

Is the Wi-Fi setup to connect to the Network you want to connect to??? you should get the needed Info from who ever runs it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…