Where did my XP Pro Go?

neko 21:23 24 Aug 04

Hey all,

Ok, I had one hard drive with two partitions on it. One with Multivision's (I liked them) restore facility and one with Xp home on.

I fitted a second hard drive and rebooted with XP Pro in the DVD drive and successfully installed this to the new drive. It rebooted and it nicely gave me the three boot options. On the next reboot the option for XP Pro had vanished!! The only thing I had done in between was update Norton's System works.
I looked in the bootloader and it is not there.
It is visible however when I look at the drive through my Win XP Home.
Any of you clever guys know why? and how to manually set the boot loader to see it again?
Any help appreciated.
Cheers

zanwalk 22:25 24 Aug 04

This link should sort you out:

click here

neko 21:11 25 Aug 04

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I visited the page you suggested but it didn't say how to re-enter a new boot line and what it all meant.

Any way I figured it out!!(quite proud of my self)

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Pro" /fastdetect

But the problem is after a couple of boots, which work fine, something re writes the boot.ini file back to what it was originally.
Has anyone any idea what kind of program would keep doing this?
I know I could use partition magic or something but that is not the point I would like to find out.

Cheers

zanwalk 20:29 26 Aug 04

It's not 'System Restore' is it? You could try turning it off and rebooting a few times. Apart from that I can't think of anything else other than a virus/trojan that might be doing it.

neko 22:28 26 Aug 04

hi again Rayburn.

Sorry I should have closed this thread. When only you responded I opened a different thread and managed to get it sorted.

A program kept re writing my boot.ini file so I changed the file that program was using and now it is fine. I was starting to think it may have been a virus but now I have sorted it.

Thanks for replying

zanwalk 19:35 27 Aug 04

Thanks for your reply, is there any chance of a link to the other thread?

I have been rather busy these last few days which is why I was rather slow to respond previously.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…