//some 3rd party need geo

Where can I go for help???? Even if I have to pay!

Epirb406 19:49 27 Oct 04

Evening folks.

I have a problem which seems intractable, I have chased it on this site click here and click here and also at the manufacturers site click here .

It seems that I am way out of my depth and can't despite everyone's valient efforts I am not progressing. Does anyone have any ideas where I should look next?

What kind of proffesional am I looking for to solve this, how much will it cost and where do I find them?

So far in my PC dealings I have solved any problem thrown at me with the help of people online, including people here. This doesn't look good to me, I am really stuck!

Anyone any ideas? Where to from here?

Real big thanks to all who have helped so far and hope you will continue to do so but right up a pole at the moment with this one.

Lets stick to suggestions for sources of help with this thread if by any miracle anyone can help with the problem I would love to see them at my last post!

Cheers all, keep up the good work, Epirb.

keith-236785 21:02 27 Oct 04

What kind of proffesional am I looking for to solve this

lol, after reading all the threads on this so far, i think you are gonna need someone with a big hammer.

seriously though, in your threads you say the problem only exists when you connect via the wireless link.

can you change the wireless network card with one of the pther pc's or is it integrated into the motherboard?

if it is integrated, you could try a new wireless network card in a free pci slot (i know its more expense but it might solve the problem)

is the new pc a client on the network or the server?

if its the client then you might need to check all the settings on the server pc (we have internet on our workstation at work but can ONLY connect to our own companies web site, due to restrictions placed on the server...several other pcs in the factory have full internet access). This problem points at the settings for the wireless connection on your pc (you can connect properly through the crossover cable) OR the server is blocking access to any secure sites.

maybe the server pc firewall is restricting your access, maybe its just a badly configured network.

i have two pcs networked, the client pc can only access the internet if Zone alarm is first shutdown on the server pc (windows xp firewall kicks in to protect me), once connected i can fire Zone alarm back up and its ok....thats a problem with Zone Alarm (only happened since last update)

good luck with this, it seems to be blowing your mind.

as for which professional to go to.....i would think it would be a networking expert but i may be wrong.

woodchip 21:13 27 Oct 04

Can I ask one thing! Don't know if it's been asked! where did you get your WinXP CD from

Epirb406 22:20 27 Oct 04

Paperman, Problem not just with wireless card, which is onboard, but with with onboard network card. The onlyway I can connect to these sites is with the asme networkcard and a crossover cable to the host PC

No firewalls involved.

I am prepared to beleive it is a badly configured network, I have been making this up as I go along for the last few years, however, I still need some thoughts as to where I am going wrong!

Woodchip, XP CD was from ebay but with all relevant paperwork and though HP branded, I have activated and registered it with microsoft, no problems, do you think this is the issue?

Cheers, Epirb.

VoG II 22:28 27 Oct 04

This really sounds like a HOSTS file problem to me. Have you tried renaming

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

to hosts.txt and restarting?

Epirb406 22:37 27 Oct 04

Thought I had....but just tried again, made no difference!

Cheers, Epirb

citadel 22:46 27 Oct 04

when I had a problem with my computer I could not remedy myself I had to get a expert to fix it. I used pc callout ltd and it cost £40 an hour, it only took him 20 minutes to fix it. The minimum charge was for one hour. It was worth it to get it done correctly and it saved me a lot of worry.

VoG II 22:52 27 Oct 04

So have you re-checked that C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts is no longer there after rebooting?

Sorry to be a pain but this has all the symptoms of a classic redirection problem.

Epirb406 23:03 27 Oct 04

Currently in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc are files named:

hosts.txt (as I renamed it)
lmhosts.sam
networks
protocol
services

Mean anything to you?

Cheers, Epirb

VoG II 23:10 27 Oct 04

No, those others are OK.

I freely admit to being stuck. A professional might well start with the same ideas so that's one thing eliminated.

Epirb406 23:22 27 Oct 04

there, i thought you were my knight in shing armour vog

never mind, i'll stick with it, not sure about any one else tho'!

epirb

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…