Where can I get a free SP2 disc?

flimbo 12:13 29 Mar 06

Where can I get a Windows XP SP2 disc? Microsoft are now charging £6 to post it to you.
I've already got one but want another to send to a friend and need to keep mine for possible reinstalls in the future.
Is it copyable?

Chris-347369 12:21 29 Mar 06

It is copyable!

Totally-braindead 12:30 29 Mar 06

Yes done it myself.

fozzy25 12:51 29 Mar 06

just go on to msn or microsoft downloads
or similar and download will shown on page for sp1 and 2

Skills 13:08 29 Mar 06

Just do a copy of it and post to your friend

flimbo 13:17 29 Mar 06

Thanks for that :-)

Stuartli 13:21 29 Mar 06

I wouldn't normally advise copy a version of SP2 but for the fact that, when it was first released, Microsoft openly urged owners of such disks to pass them on to friends when they had installed SP2.

I did a slipstreamed version of XP Pro and SP2 as future backup.

ACOLYTE 13:22 29 Mar 06

When i ordered one from MS it was free,are they now charging?,i suppose with all the recent law suits they need to get revenue from somewhere lol.
I also for one from PCWorld for free as well,but as said just copy it and send that,i have 2 slipstream copies and 3 normal ones lol.

ruskle 20:21 29 Mar 06

I maybe wrong but I am sure mine was on the cover of PC Advisor and I did a copy for 2 friends and they have both used the disc for at least a year and not reprorted any detrimental effects.

Russell

Stuartli 22:15 29 Mar 06

You are not mistaken - I used the same PC Advisor SP2 cover disk and still have it.

In fact most of the magazines provided a similar cover disk at the time as Microsoft wanted to achieve the maximum use of SP2.

Hence its request for people to give their disks to others after use (probably a first for MS!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…