Where can I D/L IE6 for ME ?

Dad is having probs with his computer and cannot get OE or IE on to the screen (Error message: OUTLOOK EXPRESS COULD NOT BE STARTED BECAUSE MSOE.DLL COULD NOT BE LOADED)
. He was running IE 5 (Or poss. 5.5!!) on Windows ME, I suggested downloading OE6 but
a) Don't know if it works with ME
B) Cannot find it as a straight DL on the Microsoft website
Any advice would be gratefully received and passed on !
PS IN the process of also reinstalling Norton due to probs.

Diodorus Siculus 17:42 13 May 05

a) Don't know if it works with ME - yes, it will.

click here - earlier versions

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:46 13 May 05

This error can occur if one or more *.dbx files in the current store folder are set as Read-only. Close OE and open the store folder in Windows Explorer. Select all files, then right-click on any one and select Properties. Uncheck the box for "Read only", leaving only the "archive" bit checked.

Outlook Express and Internet Explorer share many files. Perform a repair of Internet Explorer. From Control Panel select Add/Remove Programs. Scroll down to Microsoft Internet Explorer and highlight it. Click on the Add/Remove button. When the IE Tools menu comes up, select Repair. Click OK.

Also, you can get to the IE Tools menu by clicking Start > Run and type

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance

If still no joy, uninstall and reinstall Outlook Express.

Graham ® 17:47 13 May 05

Thanks will report back when we have tried these out!

Wuggy 21:11 13 May 05

IE6 is a fairly hefty download. You should find it on almost any PC magazine cover disk from the last 2 years or so (although the later the better as these will contain later updates).
Have you considered Mozilla Firefox from click here. It's faster, more secure and has many better features including tabbed browsing.

VoG II 21:15 13 May 05

click here - this is the full version not just an add-on.

Thanks- am going around this morning to help fix it up again. Thanks for the suggestion Wuggy, but I think Dad is best sticking with what he and Mum know.
May well be writing HELP! later on !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…