Where can I buy a retail boxed W D hard Drive

Newuser2 14:47 21 Oct 03

I have been told by people far more knowledgeable than myself that if I wish to install a additional HD I should buy a retail boxed unit.
Trouble is search as I may I cannot find anyone selling them.
I ordered what I thought was a retail unit from Dabs but it's arrived & it's an OEM.
Thanks.

Jester2K II 14:55 21 Oct 03

Whats wrong with an OEM drive? Same drive just no fancy box / manual / drivers (not that you need them in this case!)

rev.bem 15:03 21 Oct 03

A fair selection of retail and OEM

click here

NormanD 15:27 21 Oct 03

Newuser2
I bought my Maxtor hard drive in PC World. Not the cheapest option but, as I a newbie I thought it worth the extra cost to get full installation instructions, and support if I needed it.
Good luck
Norman

Ceemar 15:55 21 Oct 03

The only difference with OEM is the fancy packaging & sometimes manual & drivers; if you buy OEM you can get all info from the HDD makers' sites plus software & PDF manuals. You save with OEM in the long run.
:-)

woodchip 15:56 21 Oct 03

You do not need a retail HD, but is always best to get same make if you can as there may be less probs setting up

Stuartli 16:14 21 Oct 03

If you are keen on a Western Digital HDD, make a note of the fact that models ending with the letters JB have a three rather than one year warranty.

An example is the WD600JB Caviar Special Edition which I have - it came from Scan of Bolton.

The one drawback is that the JB versions are usually of slightly smaller capacity, a 60GB instead of 80GB for instance.

However, two weeks after I bought my WD 60GB model for £66 including VAT, the 80GB version became available at the same price...:-(

Stuartli 16:22 21 Oct 03

It was an OEM version and I probably saved around £30 buying it in this form - why pay for fancy packaging and bits and bobs you probably don't require?

bretsky 16:41 21 Oct 03

I recently bought a 120GB HD from PC world, boxed and complete with installation software which includes partitioning, just like NormanD, and now I have 5 drives to my system.
Regard Bretsky............

byfordr 16:54 21 Oct 03

Try click here or click here or click here They have listings of the cheapest hds for the same price of 120gb in pc world you can get 200gb everywhere else. Have a look at the hd makers websites you should find all you need there.

HTH

R

froggg 17:38 21 Oct 03

maxtor raptor 10,000rpm retail has FIVE years warranty!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…