Where to buy and what MP3 player

herc182 09:36 16 Jun 03

Hey people, my girlfriend wants to buy an MP3 player to put all her (or most of) cds on since she is going to America for a year in industry.
I basically want to hear from people who have one, what MP3 players are good, and wht website is best to but from.

Price is not really an issue, but preferably under £300 (since i might buy it for her!).

Thanks peeps

Phil

Bodi 09:47 16 Jun 03

You don't state what kind of MP3 player you want to buy, but if you go here

click here

you may find what you are looking for.

I can recommend this company which has given me extremely good service, although I find their PC items a tad expensive.

Hope this helps

Bodi

herc182 09:50 16 Jun 03

Sorry, i should have said. given that she wants to put a lot of cds on it, i would be looking for one that is like a 20gig HDD, as this would (i suppose) be the best option. feel free to correct me though!

herc182 12:13 16 Jun 03

anyone?
Thanks

Bodi 17:42 16 Jun 03

click here

At least it will give you some idea of what is available.

Bodi

temp003 04:37 17 Jun 03

If you want a hard disk mp3 player, you can try and work out the capacity you need.

The most common quality / bitrate used in encoding MP3's is 128kps (near CD quality), which will give a file size of (very roughly) 1MB for every minute of music. Assuming an average of 4 minutes for every song, a 20GB hard disk can take about 5000 songs - that means for a year, she can listen to 13 songs every day of the year without repeating any song!

The brands that immediately come to mind are the Creative Zen or Nomad series and the Apple iPod series (for the latter, they have Mac and Windows versions).

Both are expensive, the iPod in particular (but it's very very slick).

click here for sme ideas.

The Archos Recorder 20 from the review looks more down to earth and more reasonably priced,looks bulkier. click here

There's also a deluxe version with a travel kit click here which may be quite convenient for your girlfriend.

Look for one with either firewire or USB 2.0 connection. USB 1 will take too long to transfer the amount of music files you have in mind.

The Creative Zen 20GB has USB 2.0 and is under £300, but more limited in functions than the Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 (also 20GB) which has firewire and USB 1.0 (but over £300).

Check out sites like click here for cheaper prices.

temp003 05:20 17 Jun 03

I seem to have got the prices wrong about the Zen with USB 2.0 connector and the Jukebox 3.

click here where you can see the prices for Archos and the iPods too.

temp003 05:23 17 Jun 03

Sorry, on the link in my last post, select List by type, then select Entertainment, then select Digital Audio/Multimedia Device, then click Show products by manufacturers.

Non Welsh Local 05:35 17 Jun 03

I have the Windows version of the ipod and it is excellent. Small, compact and has 20 minutes "skip free" playing which means you can jog with it. I have the 10 GB one which is plenty for my needs although you can get 20 GB and I've heard a 30 GB is on the way. Another plus is you can use it as an external hard drive which I find very useful for transferring large files from work - home etc. It uses firewire so file transfer is very quick.

I actually purchased mine in Singapore so I got it for about £260 but I think they're around £330 normally for the 10GB. Maybe cheaper now I'm not sure.

herc182 08:33 17 Jun 03

thank you for your help guys, this will help me a lot! I will now try busking to raise enough money for it (still being a student an all!).

Thanks

From a grateful student

herc182 08:49 17 Jun 03

the apple looks very styley but at a price. think i will go for the creative labs jukebox 3. looks like it can take a beating (as my gf is a little clumsy!) and it has all she needs.
but it is very big! my brother has one, and it really aint that portable. will have a closer look at the ipod again!

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…