where to buy a pci graphics card from?

jcotter 14:38 24 Nov 09

Hi,

I'm after either a quad pci express card or 2 pci cards which will fit a dell optiplex 745 mini tower.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a supplier and/or card. The cards need to be windows 7 compatible and fit the dell. I managed to find 2 pci cards, (radeon 2400s) which fitted individuall pci slots, but not together as the pci slots were too close together and the heat sinks of the cards too big for both cards to sit side by side.

any recommendations are appreciated.

thx

northumbria61 15:12 24 Nov 09
  GaT7 16:07 24 Nov 09

I'm assuming this is the PC/case click here?

Why don't you go for 1x PCI-E & 1x PCI cards - they should fit then.

Keep one of the PCI 2400s & get another cheap, basic PCI-E one - e.g. click here - the cheapest one in the list will do (choose Super Saver delivery at checkout to keep costs even lower).

Quad-port workstation cards are very expensive, so may be best to avoid - i.e. unless you can pick up a secondhand bargain from eBay or similar. G

P.S. northumbria61, neither of your links answers the OP's queries

jcotter 16:44 24 Nov 09

Sorry to seem ignorant, but would that ok - I've never ran a pci express card with a pci card running as well, if so that's a great suggestion.

thanks

GaT7 18:02 24 Nov 09

Yes, it will be fine (e.g. click here & click here), although there's one constraint if using Vista/Win7. Apparently, if using these OSes, both cards will need to use the same drivers. On the other hand, XP will support 1x ATI-based & 1x nVidia based card.

Your present PCI card (2400) is a ATI, & you'll be getting an ATI-based PCI-E card - so shouldn't be a problem.

Btw, it's also possible to use onboard graphics alongwith a dedicated graphics card for a quad-monitor setup - see click here. Before I saw this, I didn't think that it was possible. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac