//some 3rd party need geo

Where to buy 2nd hand computer components?

JayDay 15:00 09 Nov 04

I am after a PSU for an old Compaq. For details see this thread click here They seem to be as rare as rocking horse ****. None on ebay. Some sites offer them for sale but are located in the US.

Anyone know of any UK sites that sell older PC components? I'll try the computer fair when it next comes to town if I get no joy here.

SEASHANTY 15:44 09 Nov 04

Some PSU info on this website
click here
The easiest way to check if this PSU is a specially made Compaq item or a standard ATX is to compare it with the one in your own PC. If you have built PC's previously you will also know what the standard ATX PSU looks like.

Another PSU info site I have bookmarked is this
click here
and this guy reckons its better to buy a PSU by weight - the heavier - the better the quality
click here

SEASHANTY 15:52 09 Nov 04

There is also a quiet 500W PSU with PFC for only
£21-15 on this website. Bear in mind tho that it may not be the PSU that is faulty. If its a standard ATX then check it by trying in another PC. I have had a
PSU fail in one of my PC's previously but it was a
QUANTEX PC fitted with a 200 watt PSU. It was under
guarantee & the mnfr sent me a replacement (which
was rated at 250 watts - surprising!)

SEASHANTY 15:54 09 Nov 04

...and I now see that I did not give the link which is MicroDirect click here

JayDay 16:05 09 Nov 04

I have a bog standard ATX PSU which I have borrowed from my local computer shop. The problem I have encountered is as follows. The new PSU fits the case and the screws line up just right. However the motherboard has two separate locations for its power source not the usual one.

SEASHANTY 19:19 09 Nov 04

Do you mean its a motherboard which supports the P4
processor? the ones that use the extra 4 pin 12V plug? click here

sicknote 19:38 09 Nov 04
  Quickbeam 19:40 09 Nov 04

Look out for local computer fairs advertised in the local paper, you'll get the above conector & stalls full of 2nd hand components... tuppence a bucketful!

spuds 19:50 09 Nov 04

Possibly worth a browse click here click here

If you have any local computer fairs, then you could try there.

Dan the Confused 20:04 09 Nov 04

AT motherboards have AT and ATX power connectors, you only use one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…