where is the BIOS kept ?

Ikelos 08:43 09 Jun 06

hi, I intend to get new HDD for my laptop, simply for the fact that this one,some where, has a fault, I have the recovery disk, i could do the drive that is in there now, but if i make a pigs ear of it, I am stuffed.at least i can always put this one back in...anyway, to the question, about time i hear you cry... i updated the BIOS on here, is that sort of thing on the HDD so i would have to do it again, or is it on a sort of chip somewhere...thank you

Diodorus Siculus 08:47 09 Jun 06

For most machines, the BIOS is on a little chip on the motherboard.

Some few machines used to have the BIOS on the hard disk.

What make and model do you have?

Giant68 08:47 09 Jun 06

BIOS is on a chip on the motherboard, nothing to do with the HDD. Changing the drive will not change the BIOS.

Giant68

bosmere 08:53 09 Jun 06

From Wikipedia:

Before 1990 or so BIOSes were held on ROM chips that could not be altered. As their complexity and the need for updates grew, BIOS firmware was stored on EEPROM or flash memory devices that can be easily upgraded by the user. This EEPROM chip sits on FWH interface, but a newer interface named SPI is also emerging and in some newer boards EEPROM chips are already sitting on SPI interface. However, an improperly executed or aborted BIOS update can render the computer or device unusable

Diemmess 08:54 09 Jun 06

The BIOS is the basic instruction set which tells your PC it is a computer, not a washing machine. The instructions are available in the EPROM chipset on the motherboard.

Changing a hard disk should not mean changing the BIOS (instructions), these days recognition is usually automatic.

If the HD carried the operating system, that is a problem which can be solved, but usually doesn't involve altering any part of the BIOS

Ikelos 09:02 09 Jun 06

thank all for the help, just as a matter of interest the laptop is a Rock Quaddra Ti..

thanks again..

Diodorus Siculus 09:14 09 Jun 06

You will be ok with the Rock - it was a few of the older Compaqs which had the BIOS on the hard disk.

Ikelos 09:29 09 Jun 06

thank you................

€dstowe 10:56 09 Jun 06

From the Wikipedia quote, above:

"BIOS firmware was stored on EEPROM or flash memory devices that can be easily upgraded by the user."

That may be true but it is just as easy to destroy the BIOS in a similar process.

woodchip 11:10 09 Jun 06

BIOS as nothing to do with changing the Drive for a new one if the Laptop is farely new it should recognise it OK. Your Problems is you only have a Restore Disc. So you need Somthing to Partition the drive if it as a partition, there may also be a Hidden partition that Restore works from, Plus you need Acronis True Image. Create a Image with True Image to CD's or DVD's then swap drives and restore from CD's or DVD's You can split the Image to fit on discs for reloading

terryf 11:13 09 Jun 06

Before you do anything, search the drive manufacturer's site for diagnostic tools that you can download, these will check your drive for errors in a non-invasive way. You will then be sure that the drive is really faulty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…