Where is "A" and "B" drives???

Enoch 11:17 15 Dec 06

"C" drive is my hard-disk, "D" drive is my CD-RW/DVD drive, "E" drive is my external Hard-drive. "A" drive used to be the floppy drive and who knows what was a "B" drive.

Purely out of interest and I am not having any problems, does anything replace the "A" floppy drive now that I do not have one and secondly, what is a "B" drive which currently I also do not have.

Running XPhome on a laptop

hastelloy 11:24 15 Dec 06

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but, in the days when HDs were rare/very expensive, PCs had 2 floppy drives (my 1st PC was like that- with no HD). These would have been A and B drives. As hard drives became more affordable, the B drive disappeared as is now happenning with the A drive. As PCs are configured to recognise the 1st HD as C it would be a major problem to change this, so A & B are a dying breed!!

gudgulf 11:24 15 Dec 06
  Enoch 11:57 15 Dec 06

"marvin42"---it seems as though you are correct, see the "gudgulf" post above.

"beta"---I have not got any showing to disable, it was just an interest only enquiry

Thanks Guys!

ed-0 11:58 15 Dec 06

They are just settings in the bios for floppy disk drives , when activated they tell windows it should look for a A and B floppy disk drives.

To disable them, as ßeta says, pop into the bios and change the settings for A and B to disabled.

driving man 12:15 15 Dec 06

B drive in days long gone was a 5.25 inch floppy--- aften used in commercial premises as obviously held more info than better known 3.5 inch "A" drive floppy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:54 15 Dec 06

B5.25 inch flppy disks really were "floppy" the highest capacity was 720K

3.5 inch floppy drives now dying out come with hard plastic cover 720K or 1.44M were / still are used.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:55 15 Dec 06

B
5.25 inch flppy disks really were "floppy" the highest capacity was 720K

A
3.5 inch floppy drives now dying out come with hard plastic cover 720K or 1.44M were / still are used.

Technotiger 15:00 15 Dec 06

Hi, sometimes a Floppy Drive does still come in usefull. My PC does not have a floppy drive, but I do have a external USB floppy drive for occasional use - this USB floppy is Drive 'B' automatically. 'A' being reserved by the system for a internal floppy drive.

Merry Christmas.

Enoch 15:51 15 Dec 06

Technotiger-----Question; why an external floppy drive, not a criticism, a query. I use an external hard-drive for full back-up's and a memory stick for specific back-ups and, of course I can write to a CD-RW if required. therefore, why an external floppy drive?

Technotiger 15:57 15 Dec 06

Kids bring stuff home from Uni on floppy - need I say more!

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…