Where are Windows updates held temporarily?

Simsy 20:11 12 Dec 06

Folks,

I have my update settings set to "Notify, but don't automatically download or install", (just becasue I like to be in control!). When there are updates I get a yellow warning triangle in the system tray that says "click here to download updates". So I click, and there is obviously some downloading going on judging by lights activity on modem and ZoneAlarm, and then the yellow sheild disappears.

But where have the downloads gone to. They haven't been installed so presumably there are some .exe files I need to run. But where?

I guessed they would either be in "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files", or "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate" or Temp internet files, (which I have on my D drive), but they don't seem to be in any of those places.

Any suggestions as to where they might be?

(I know I can install them via the security centre by downloading and installing... I'm just wondering where they go when I click on the yellow sheild in systray)

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

Coff 20:28 12 Dec 06

Automatic updates are downloaded to the Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. After you've installed them via the system tray icon, you can delete everything in that folder.

If you don't use automatic updates and go to the windows update site to download them, they will populate the same folder.

(They aren't .exe files as such that's why there is no point keeping them after they've been installed.)

Simsy 20:32 12 Dec 06

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 20:32 12 Dec 06

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos