Where are the USB sockets?

Dave21 07:21 06 Oct 04

Excuse my dumb question.
I am downloading digicam pics onto my pc from a Minolta XT. I have done this several times before sucessfully.
Now it does work. I have recently installed a new HDD but re-installed all the camera CD software.
1)Am am connecting the cable into the correct socket in the back of my CPU.There is no socket called a USB. I have guessed before and it was correct. The best fit is labelled S/PDF OUT and is below the keyboard and mouse inputs.(it is a circular socket type cable- not a flat headed pin one) and this is the one I am trying at the moment.
2)Is there any way of seeing if the USB port is operating OK? I have done into Hardware Manager in Control panel- a printer USB port was faulty which I have fixed but there are no other excamation marks.
3)Do I need to run my motherboard CD in order to get a USB socket working?

I am running Win XP.

Any suggestions most welcome.

watchful 07:49 06 Oct 04

My USB sockets are at the front, bottom of my processor and this is where I connect the lead to my digital camera.
If this info is not right for you then I'm sure someone else will provide the right answer.

Dave21 09:03 06 Oct 04

All my sockets are at the rear I'm afraid.

Noelg23 09:09 06 Oct 04

you USB sockets will be on the back of your PC...they are like flat sockets...they should have a picture of what looks like a 3-pronged stick...and it will be the same on the USB cable...I think you have connected to the wrong socket mate...S/PDF OUT belongs to a sound card. here you go...this should clear it up click here

Dave21 09:15 06 Oct 04

Thanks Noel- I see them- but the cable which comes with the camera is not this flat shape on your link. The cable has an end similar to a speaker input ie round in profile about half an inch long (in old money.

Noelg23 09:22 06 Oct 04

im confused...I thought all cameras has USB cables...is the end your talking about smaller than the other end? cos if it is then that needs to go into the camera.

Noelg23 09:24 06 Oct 04

have a look here and see if this is what your on about click here

rawprawn 09:25 06 Oct 04

I think you can buy a converter, whereby you will be able to plug the usb into it and the other end will fit the other kind of socket. I have one on my cordless mouse connection.

Dave21 09:47 06 Oct 04

In the cam manual it says to put cable in USB port as you'd expect. The cable in your link Noel is the same on one end- ie a small, rectangular in profile which fits in the cam, but the other end is like the speaker plugs.
Is there any other socket in the back of a CPU that would enable date to be transferred to a cam other than a flat headed type socket? Maybe there is and I haven't downloaded a driver from anywhere.
This is all too confusing, especially as I've been downloading on this cable for ages.
I'd take a photo of the cable to show you but sadly that is not possible.

Noelg23 09:58 06 Oct 04

is there another way you can give us some sort of diagram of this cable? cos I am starting to get really confused...

pjwheeldon 10:10 06 Oct 04

Are you sure its not the av cable you are trying to connect? The web site lists both an av cable and a USB cable as accessories, and the picture shows the mini USB connector on the camera under a flap, below "av out", and the power connector.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…