SANAP 13:58 27 Mar 04

I had the misfortune to go to a show that was not very good and afterwards I went to the website, reqistered, left a few comments and next day got a long email newsletter. I replied to this along the lines " I could do with a refundetc" and sent it off. Lo and behold I got a reply along the lines of " Get a life" I then replied with valid criticisms and posted on another board who backed me up. Went away for 2 weeks and today I got an email from this wesbite entitled " Something for you" and inside I had the following:

Viruses found in the attached files.
The attached file object.zl6 is infected by I-Worm/Netsky.B. The attachment was moved to the virus vault.
The original message follows:
here, the serials

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (click here).
Version: 6.0.620 / Virus Database: 399 - Release Date: 3/11/04 "

I am not a techie but can this kind of thing be allowed and do I have valid grounds for complaint? The show was not good but to end up trying to send me a virus is a bit off. I have the email address and it is the same as the one I originally replied to. All I did was offer a bit of polite criticism.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 14:06 27 Mar 04

The site may not be aware of this virus on there system and netsky and many other viruses select email addresses from anywere on the pc there can be 100s of email addresses on a pc and the user wouldnt know it these viruses scan for these and send emails from the infected system to whatever address they find i cant believe they would send u a virus on purpose.There has been a lot of emails viruses about i have had loads from people i know who didnt even know they had a virus and they all had virus software installed.

Stuartli 14:28 27 Mar 04

...as the person or organisation whose name is on the e-mail is most unlikely to even be aware of such happenings.

The address will have been harvested from the address book of the last person to have had the worm.

Obviously it will not be the true sender or even someone infected.

Read this particular thread:

click here

barryoneoff.co.uk 14:32 27 Mar 04

many emails from people and company's I have never even heard of, let alone send them emails. They all told me that the email I sent them contained a virus, emails I never sent!
So it seems that someone used my address somehow to send the infected mail. My system is completely virus free.

The only way I stopped it was to delete that address and use another.

AndyJ 14:45 27 Mar 04

If you seriously believe and are convinced you were deliberately sent a virus by this company, then they have committed an offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. Initial action for recourse has to be taken by the police, so you would have to toddle off to your local police station for advice.

AndyJ 14:47 27 Mar 04

Incidentally there's an interesting article here click here

Stuartli 15:26 27 Mar 04

I know Barry - he must have been really mad about something...:-)

Barry has been a highly respected hi-fi and computer journalist for a very long time (he also used the alias Adrian Hope), so it's most likely to have been an untypical one off reaction.

SANAP 15:27 28 Mar 04

thanks all,this was very helpful. This must be D best forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…