When running a DVD from my PC to the TV the colour

yuffy 14:57 01 Oct 03

is very poor.
The card is an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU.
I noticed that the S video slot on the back of the pC has seven holes & the TV has four. The S Video cable i have used is only four.
Is there any way i can correct the lack of colour, there is some but it is very poor.

-pops- 15:16 01 Oct 03

Do you have the TV output from the graphics card set to the correct TV system (PAL or NTSC or even SECAM)?

Normal S-video does have four only connectors, at least all those I've been associated with.

yuffy 15:24 01 Oct 03

For DVD burning.
How would i Check?
I'm running win 2K

leemgilbert 15:38 01 Oct 03

I used to connect my Geo 2 card to the TV, make sure that the output source is set to S-Video on the card options, and it is set to PAL for uk viewing, check also that you have the correct AV selected on your TV because on my sony TV AV3 at the front of the TV also refers to Y3, AV3, and selecting though the channels it goes from Black and White to Slight |Colour then to true colour

yuffy 15:56 01 Oct 03

But how would i go about checking that, I can handle the TV how do i go about checking the output source is set to S-Video on the card options, and it is set to PAL for uk viewing.
Please.

SEASHANTY 16:14 01 Oct 03

Your TV manual should tell you how to select S-VHS input. If it is not set to this mode you will get a mixture of poor colour and black and white. On my 28 JVC with SVHS socket and 3 scarts (very well equipped TV's are JVC unlike Sony and Panasonic with just two) one scart accepts RGB input whilst the other two are switchable from composite video to SVHS in the menu and the SVHS is switchable on the AV input. My old 25" Mitsubishi TV has video switchable in the menu between normal and S-VHS. It doesn't do it automatically - yours is probably similar.

yuffy 16:39 01 Oct 03

how to check the output source is set to S-Video on the card options, and it is set to PAL for uk viewing. Please.

BarryKeith 18:27 01 Oct 03

Go to "Display Properties" select "Advanced" then TV Out. You should find the settings are already set up but may not be, so you can adjust them then click apply to save those settings. Some cards will give a distorted image on your monitor when set to TV, so don't be alarmed if this happens. Check your manual for your card to see what info. they give, it could save a lot of messing around trying to find the correct set-up.

yuffy 20:26 01 Oct 03

Win2K. I've tried control panel, display properties, The only tab that has an advanced button is under the tab "settings". Anyway if i hit advanced, there are another six tabs:
General, Adaptor, Monitor, Colour Management, trouble shooting & NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU.
None of these gives me any information or anyway to deal with TV out or how to check the output source is set to S-Video on the card options or if it is set to PAL for uk viewing.
Help!!

SEASHANTY 21:44 01 Oct 03

You should have a manual for this graphics card which should tell you how to check the settings. If you do not have the manual see if you can download one from NVIDIA.COM. I do not have this particular card and the only info I have been able to find out is that the TV encoder works best at 1024 x 768 (which is a TFT monitor setting) TV's run at much lower resolutions - about 640 x 400 I think. Admittedly this info was from a USA website click here=
If your PC was purchased in the U.K. then the TV will be set to PAL output. I think you will have to assume that the card wiring to the S-VHS output is indeed set for that system. According to my JVC S-VHS video recorder all that S-VHS does is increase the Horizontal resolution from (250 lines VHS) up to (400 lines S-VHS). Its just the extra lines in the field which gives you a better picture.

yuffy 22:15 01 Oct 03

Checked your earlier advice & checked the TV. Sorted the Colour prob. Thanks for that. The TV manual did indeed tell me how to switch to S Video. Thanks.
The Pc was purchased in the UK, it's a shuttle, the graphics card is integrated, so a manual did not come with the PC. I will check Nvidia for a manual again, but last time it was a complete waste when searching for help on the card.
Sorry to be a pain, but TV encoder, what is that?
TFT monitor, sorry, what is that?
From the Control panel, display, Settings tabs, the screen area is set at 1024 x 768 32 bit. Should i lower this to improve picture quality again.
In advance, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…