When Power Supply Units Blow!

ScottishAdam 00:01 19 Jan 07

I bought a Top of the range PC (custom made) athlon 4600 and a top of the range graphics card. However I believe I have chosen the wrong power supply unit (350watts).

I succesfully installed Windows XP and the machine was working perfectly, however
later on, whilst running a very demanding game, (FEAR)on high settings,my PC suddenly cut off. I could smell burning coming from the back of it. I am certain the power supply unit has blown, (as it could not handle the demanding performance of my PC). It is only a 350watt PSU.
I then plugged in my other power plug (to check if it was just a wire fault), however as soon as I pressed the power button it burnt the fuse out on it?

When this happens, is it only the power supply unit that is burnt out? or will there be further damage to my computer???

Would it be O.K. to just change the power supply unit with a more suitable one for my system??

Please help

Thanks alot

Adam

terryf 00:05 19 Jan 07

The only way you will find out if your mobo has blown is to put a serviceable PSU in.
For power supply choice, I was looking for power and quietness and was recommended and bought a 'Trust Pro PSU Low Noise Big Fan' 520W power supply it has a 120mm fan and together with an Arctic freezer processor cooler don't hear either except during boot before the mobo takes control or during periods of very high processor activity but this doesn't go on for a noticeable time, I'm doing an AVG scan now at 50% CPU usage but can't hear fans but can't.

ScottishAdam 00:08 19 Jan 07

Ye but I am certain it is the power supply unit. Has this happened to anyone else and is there usually further damage or is it just the power supply unit that has to be replaced???

In other words while the rest of my processor, RAM, graphics card motherboard etc be intact?

you need at least 500 watts click here

this is also silent, assuming you cant take the pc back i guess the only way is to try another

assuming the power cut off, i would have thought the main risk of damage would be the hard drive, i may be corrected, i would try another psu, again assuming you cant return pc, and run chkdsk

terryf 00:15 19 Jan 07

I only paid about £30 for mine from my friendly local dealer, the other one suggested is about £46

i fear scottishAdam may be more worried about the costs of repairing/ replacing his pc than £16 at the present time!

ScottishAdam 00:24 19 Jan 07

Yea exactly, I dont care about the cost of the PSU I just want reassurance that the rest of my PC is intact.

Cheers people

ForestChav 00:50 19 Jan 07

You can't tell. If you're lucky your PC should be fine. Worst case scenario is that everything's gone down with it. Despite that, you could be looking at a new mainboard and/or HDD.

BRYNIT 01:29 19 Jan 07

ScottishAdam I think you would be annoyed if we all reassure you that nothing els would have been affected when the power supply burnt out and then found out we were wrong.

As ForestChav has said you could be Lucky and every thing els will work fine but its difficult to tell. When you have replaced the power supply you will find out.

Jim757 02:35 19 Jan 07

Can you gain access to another PC and whip the PSU out of it and put it into your machine to try it? I know you'd have to end up buying another PSU anyway, but it may be a quick way of finding out if your PC is ok. I was always told that the HDD is usually one of the major casualties with this sort of thing - I hope in your case that it is just the PSU that has blown.

Hope all goes ok for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…