When one click becomes two: dying mouse?

johnincrete 05:24 27 Sep 10

Increasingly, I find that applications respond to a single click as though I had double-clicked. I'm renaming over a hundred music files in Windows Explorer and, one click, delay, another click to rename becomes a double click on the first and the music plays in WMP. I tried to delete a sentence in this post by left button hold & drag to highlight but when I released the button, the highlight dissapeared.
The mouse is a Logitec USB connection and, although only about a year old, it has hit the marble-tiled floor a few times.
Does it look to be mouse-replacement time or is there some sort of setting I can change?

gengiscant 08:17 27 Sep 10

You dont't mention Operating system so take your pick.
Win7 click here
Vista click here
XP click here

Try another mouse and see if you have the same problem, which,hopefully will tell you if your mouse is faulty or not.

mgmcc 08:43 27 Sep 10

Try this, which applies in all versions of Windows...

Open Windows Explorer and from its menus select "Tools > Folder Options". In the General tab, there is an option for how items are clicked. Ensure that you have selected the option "Double click to open an item (single click to select)".

Sea Urchin 10:23 27 Sep 10

"one click, delay, another click to rename"

Much easier to right-click and select Rename

Zurdo 14:28 27 Sep 10

I had exactly the same problem with mp3 tracks opening with one click. A new mouse cured for me!

johnincrete 15:13 27 Sep 10

Gengis: I did find this (XP) but there is nothing about click speed
Mgmcc: was already set
Sea Urchin: I've had to do this for the rename job but it is longer
Zurdo: That's what I was trying to avoid. Gordon Brown's efforts with the pension I paid in all my working life means I have to watch every penny, or, since I live in sunny Crete in euroland, every cent.

I'll bite the bullet and get a new mouse.

It's so good that so many people are kind enough to reply

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…