When modem connected, dial tone fades away.

eveready 19:04 17 Nov 03

My modem has been working for 4 months - then I found there was no dial tone and no calls could be made or received on the house phones while the modem is connected.
Unplugging the modem from the phone socket retores the dial tone. If I plug it back in and IMMEDIATELY click on connect, I hear the dial tone and the modem goes through its usual dial up and connects. If not the dial tone fades away and it sounds as if I have a connection to an 'empty room'.
The dial tone cannot be restored until the modem is unplugged.
I have another modem on an old system which works without any problems, using the same cable and phone connection.
The problem modem is an internal 'Soft 56 Data Fax Voice Speakerphone CARP'. Device Manager says there are no conflicts & it is working properly, - COM 3.
I am using windows XP (home), AMD Athlon xp 2500, 512Mb memory, 80 Gb hard drive.
System restore has no effect. Only 2 phones and modem on BT line which has been checked as OK.
I will appreciate any suggestions to help me find the cause of the problem please.

Eveready (But not on this occasion )

R4 19:09 17 Nov 03

Sounds like the Modems 'On the Blink' and loading the line to much.

I agree, the modem is faulty.

woodchip 19:17 17 Nov 03

Too many phones on the line, or you have changed something

eveready 19:20 17 Nov 03

R4 & Graham

Many thanks, I think I will give MESH a ring and see if they concur, as it is still under warranty.

Pete (Eveready)

eveready 19:52 18 Nov 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…