when is a jpg not a jpg ?

greyballs 19:34 PM 14 Mar 11

hi just been sent a couple of pics that i can only open with paint and the image is huge even after resizing to 12% from original.in properties the file is jpg but windows media player says can not open file ect any ideas as to the file type so i can find something to open or convert. i am using w/vista hp.

bremner 19:37 PM 14 Mar 11

Windows Media Player does not open jpeg image files, only audio and video.

mooly 19:38 PM 14 Mar 11

Right click the file and select properties. On the general tab what does it say the file type is ?

bremner 19:38 PM 14 Mar 11

click here for a good free image viewer

greyballs 19:41 PM 14 Mar 11

sorry guys i meant photo gallery

and properties
file type is jpg

mooly 19:41 PM 14 Mar 11

Just seen you mention "properties" saying jpg.

When you right click as above, just below file type what program does it say to open with ?
Have you tried right clicking the file and selecting "open with" and choosing photo gallery.

bremner 19:44 PM 14 Mar 11

When you open it in Paint - Save As and choose a new filename and ensure you save it as a jpg.

Now try opening the new file in Picture Gallery

greyballs 19:46 PM 14 Mar 11

hi
yep done that it will only open with paint also the pic comes in at 11.9mb i just do not belive it is jpg format ?

greyballs 19:53 PM 14 Mar 11

hi done that,p/gallery still can not open file without latest updates (which i have)

bremner 20:01 PM 14 Mar 11

Can picture gallery open any jpg?

greyballs 20:07 PM 14 Mar 11

yep just checked but on this file it is saying it dose not support this file format
thats why i dont think it is a jpg file although properties says it is ?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites