When isn't the CPU overheating?

Graphicool1 15:51 27 Dec 13

This question may sound like the answer would be found in a naff Xmas cracker. But on this occasion it won't be.

Intel have told me, that if my CPU reaches 100c, a message will be sent to the motherboard and the PC will turn itself off. As a protective feature for the CPU. If this were to happen, I would have to wait for an indefinate period of time, till my CPU cools down enough to make it safe to turn the PC on again.

Fair enough, however, my BIOS keeps sending me messages that my CPU is exceeding 140c. But being as the PC continues to run, my instincts have been to ignore the BIOS trying to scaremonger me and instead I just 'Stay Calm and Carry On'.

Never the less, well meaning others have informed me of their concern over this matter. So much so that I felt compelled to act on their angst. So I installed 'SPECCY', it is a heat detecter, monitoring all the hardware on your PC.

So now, when the BIOS get's in a panic and sends me 'Warning CPU 145c!'. I just glance at SPECCY, (laying back there on his recliner, sipping cool drinks from a straw). I feel reasurred once more as he tells me the CPU is 40c. Turn off the alarms and lock despair back in the cupboard with the skeleton.

You might ask, how come the descrepancy between 145c and 40c? Well, I won't tell a lie, I did wonder about this myself. So, I looked into the matter, just to be on the safe rather than the sorry side. My CPU has 4 cores/processors. I believe that when the BIOS looks at them it adds them all together and gives me an accumulated result 145c etc.

Now SPECCY on the otherhand looks at those same 4 cores, adds them together and divides by 4, and gives me an average result of 40c.

Being as the PC hasn't as yet shut down, it's my guess that SPECCY is doing it right.

iscanut 17:47 27 Dec 13

At 140 degrees!your pc should be giving off enough heat to allow you to turn off your radiators !

bumpkin 17:59 27 Dec 13

However you interperate the readings (40c sounds about right) Rest assured that it WILL shut down if it gets too hot. I don't know of any CPU that will run at 145C.

bumpkin 18:04 27 Dec 13

edit interpret.

mart7 18:08 27 Dec 13

40 C is about right at idle or between 70-80 c when under load

Try this utility "speed fan"

click here

alanrwood 18:34 27 Dec 13

Try installing free program Core Temperature. It monitors all cores individually and tells you the temp of each one in the Notification Area.

Graphicool1 19:57 27 Dec 13

mart7

I already have that, but nomatter what I change it doesn't seem to make any difference.

alanrwood

My BIOS already does that and then it adds them together and gives me the collective result.

Woolwell 20:20 27 Dec 13

It does shut down if it gets too hot. Firstly the BIOS warns and then it turns off. It happened to me. But if it does occur then there is something seriously wrong with the cooling or cpu installation or both. I had a broken clip on the housing and inadequate cooling. The good news was that the CPU wasn't damaged nor was the motherboard. I am not sure that the bIOS does add them together. I use SIW Pro to monitor temps and have used Realtemp and hwmonitor. Are you reading cputin on the motherboard?

bumpkin 20:47 27 Dec 13

woolwell, OP states that it is not shutting down. So the reading of 145C has to be wrong.

bumpkin 20:50 27 Dec 13

woolwell, OP states that it is not shutting down. So the reading of 145C has to be wrong.

Graphicool1 17:15 28 Dec 13

OK here we go...

alanrwood

Just to put your mind at rest, I downloaded the programme you suggested 'Core Temp'. It tells me the individual core temperatures, which are (fluctuating)...

Core #0: 44c

Core #1: 46c

Core #2: 39c

Core #3; 40c

But I still maintain that all three programmes are seeing the same same things. IE the temp of each core. But then they go on to present their findings to me in their own unique way. The BIOS adds them together, for a Collective Result, SPECCY looks at them and gives me an Average Temperature in this case 45c. Then Core Temp gives individual results (as shown above).

But my problem with the results given by the BIOS is the WARNINGS. Because it is adding them together and this gives a result of well over what the maximum should be for a single core CPU.

I was hoping when I told everyone about this you/they would say...'yeah ours does the same thing'. I don't crave the need to be reasurred or given peace of mind. I understand what is happening, what I don't understand is why. After all it recognises my CPU as a Quad Core i7 2600K (Sandy Bridge).

I'm waiting on delivery of a new heatsink fan, it is an 'Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 CPU Cooler'...CLICK HERE, you might have to scroll to the top of the page. It will be interesting to see what difference this makes and what the BIOS will make of it?

Although the reason I'm getting it is because my PC is situated in an uninsulated attic room. It is extremely cold in the winter and in the summer it reaches temperatures over 45c. The good thing is guests don't stay up here too long. As for me, well I have to take blood thinners, which make me feel the cold. However, I don't feel the heat so much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017