When installing 2 x internal sata hard drives.

23790954 10:30 23 Aug 10

Hello to all my good friends on this forum who have helped me in the past. Once again I need advice on a situation, of which I know very little.
Due to the fact that I have had my security breached twice, when using a wireless internet connection, I always use a wired connection to secure financial transactions etc. on the web.
However, I would find a wireless connection very helpful, in the situation where my grandchildren want to connect their game consoles to the internet.
I would therefore, like to install 2 x internal SATA hard drives on my computer system, the first one (drive 1) to be a wired connection, which I would use for financial transactions on the web, and the second one (drive 2) to be a wireless connection, which I could use for my grandchildrens' game consoles etc.
Both these drives would have Windows 7 ultimate installed. Query 1:
Is there any way when my system is booting up, that I can make it display both drives in the post, so that I can choose which hard drive I want to go to; and query 2;
Considering it is the same computer system, I am using the hard drives on, is there any restrictions to the number of times I install Windows 7 on the system, without interfering with the validation of the operating system.
Many thanks to all who offer advice on this matter.

QuizMan 11:10 23 Aug 10

I am afraid it does work like that.

Even if you use wired access for financial transactions, there is nothing to stop wireless users from getting access to your system via a compromised router.

And therein lies the solution. The only way you are going to achieve the level of safety that you seek is to lock down the router to unauthorised users. This will include having your own router password, using WPA encryption, disabling SSID and allowing access to only approved PC's/laptops via their MAC address.

To the uninitiated, this may seem daunting. Try this as a starting point. click here

QuizMan 11:11 23 Aug 10

First paragraph should read - I am afraid it does NOT work like that. Apologies.

Woolwell 11:16 23 Aug 10

There are several things that I don't fully understand with your situation.

Firstly when the games consoles are connected wirelessly to the router they are not connected directly connected to your pc. They may be part of your home network but you should be able to set your firewall so that the games consoles cannot access your pc and only the internet.

The next question is how your security was breached? If someone was using your wireless network then they must have hacked your password and/or your security settings for the wireless network was not strong enough. It would help if you told us which router and whether you are using WPA or WEP. What firewall are you using and what anti-virus? I don't think that security breaches of home wireless networks are actually that common if the security is properly set up. However I would be very wary of using on-line banking in a public area.

I suspect that installing 2 drives is over complicating the matter and I am not sure how it would work and will leave others to advise whether this is at all possible.

23790954 11:48 23 Aug 10

Many thanks for your assistance in this matter, Quizman and Woolwell. I am afraid my computer knowledge only goes as far as building and repairing desktops of my family and my own.
Just to give you an insight to my past problems Woolwell, and if you can help eradicate this problem I would be delighted.
About 5 years ago, I decided to make a wireless connection for my system, using a Netgear DG834 router and a Netgear usb wireless adaptor. At this time I used the WEP security which was available. The wireless connection worked perfectly for a few months, when I was contacted by telephone, by my credit card company, asking me if I had made several transactions with my credit card, in the past 24 hours. These transactions amounted to quite an amount. I was completely unaware of these transactions, and the credit card company were satisfied that the claims were fraudulent, and after I had signed and returned several documents, they waived the amount of the transactions which were fraudulent.
Due to this trouble I reverted to a wired connection. As I repair systems for friends and family, about 2 years ago, I was working on three different systems, and again, to make downloading for each system easier, I again installed a wireless connection, this time using a new Netgear DG834v3 router, and a new Netgear usb wireless adapter. This time I used the WPA2-PSK security. I had only used this wireless connection for about 2 months, when again, my credit card company, telephoned me before 9am, one morning, and asked if I had made transactions over the internet at 2am that morning. One of these was actually to pay a hotel bill amounting to about £3000 in U.S.A. They also stated at that time that the user had actually changed my password to a new password. Again as it was proved to be fraudulent, the company had me sign several documents before waiving the fraudulent transactions. That day, when I logged onto my computer system, I actually had an 'e' mail, timed at about 2.10am, from the credit card company, stating that my password HAD been changed, and I can assure you that I KNEW NOTHING about this being done.
That is my own VERY TRUE experience with wireless connections, and if you can shed any light on how to make a more secure wireless connection, I would be delighted, as it would be much easier for me in many situations.
Incidentally, I am with BT broadband, and now have the new BT 2.0 Hub, which can also be used wirelessly.
I should add, that in both of these experiences I DID HAVE FULL internet security installed on my system.
Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Woolwell 11:58 23 Aug 10

For someone to hack into your wireless network at home then they have to be fairly close by and have struck lucky that you were paying by credit card. I suspect that the problem you experienced may not have been down to your wireless set up but more to do with the site(s) that you had used for your credit card or payment elsewhere (petrol station, restaurant, etc).
You need to have a good anti-virus system and firewall on your pc, and set up wpa2-ssk security. You could also hide your SSID.
With a decent firewall blocking access from the games consoles IP addresses then you should be able to let them access wirelessly and continue safe with your own transactions.

Ian in Northampton 12:19 23 Aug 10

I agree with Woolwell. I don't think the frauds you have experienced are anything to do with your wireless connection. There are many, many other ways of people hacking your credit card information. Like Woolwell says, for someone to hack your wireless connection, they would have to be very close to you - and that just seems very unlikely.

23790954 12:40 23 Aug 10

I do appreciate what you are saying, Woolwell and Ian in Northampton, but although you state that you believe it has been other transactions which caused the problem, I CANNOT understand how I came to receive the 'e' mail, from the credit card company, at approx 2.10am in the morning, stating that my password change application, made at that time had been accepted. I WAS NOT on my computer at that time, yet the 'e' mail was in my inbox when I checked my 'e' mail that day. This could NOT have been done from anyone other than someone hacking into my system. Don't get me wrong, I am delighted to be getting some help with this problem, and any advice you can give me on the matter would be very much appreciatewd.

Woolwell 12:58 23 Aug 10

You would have picked up the e-mail in the morning having been sent at 2.10 am. Someone managed to gain access to your credit card account through the web. The major question is how they managed to get access to your account and your password. Someone may have used a password stealer.
Back to your original problem - you have not had any problems with ethernet and you should not get any problems with the games consoles connected wirelessly. The pc and games consoles should not be "talking" to each other. If someone hacks into your router then it is just as possible that they could access your pc by wire but unlikely if the hardware firewall at the router and your software firewall is doing its job.

23790954 13:10 23 Aug 10

Many thanks for that Woolwell. As a wireless connection would be more useful to me than a wired connection, due to working on other peoples, friends etc. computer systems, re downloading etc., I am going to attempt to make a reasonably secure wireless connection, using my BT 2 Home Hub, and my new Netgear G USB wireless adapter. My internet secrurity is the top Norton Internet Security, but I would like a recommendation of a GOOD web page on how to make a secure wireless network, if you know one. I have browsed the web, during our discussion, but have not yet found one that exp[lains in detail, about passwords, WPA2-PSK settings etc., and I would like to make sure I do it right this time.
Many thanks for all your help in this matter.

Woolwell 15:27 23 Aug 10

I cannot find a good guide.

Things that I would do:
Change your password to access the router's configuration from the default (often none) that comes with the router.
Set up the highest security that the router will allow eg WPA2 and use a password that is not simple (contains numbers etc).
Have a decent firewall.
Some say you should hide your SSID but I am not sure about that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…