When inserting a cd the computer restarts

machoe 17:24 18 Jan 06

Hello, a friend of mine told me that when she inserts a cd in her computer her computer will automatically restart. What is wrong? Thanks

Rtus 18:14 18 Jan 06

try to boot to a bootable floppy in floppy drive A: (win98se disc)see if you can access the Cdrom drive then without it restarting. if it shuts down & restarts change the drive.

machoe 20:08 18 Jan 06

Thanks for your response but can you please be more specific with your explanation because I dont know exactly what to do. Thanks

Rtus 20:27 18 Jan 06

Normally if you have problems with a machine..you can use a floppy boot disk ,as in W98se(or winME)startup floppy.this enables you to boot your machine into dos there you can access the drives by typing at the command prompt (C>:) DIR .which gives a display of the directories list on the drive youve selected , in this case C:
If your trying out a CDR drive pop a Cd into the tray wait till drive light finishes flashing then at the command prompt type D:
then again at the command prompt type DIR if alls well a directory tree will appear listing all thats on the CDR disc
However as most people have moved on to Xp etc Booting to the CDR drive is the norm for repairs/reinstallation . advise which Operating system you are using..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple