When infinity is very finite indeed.

Phrixos 20:27 PM 28 Feb 12

Hello,

Having only just installed BT Infinity about a month ago, I find my connection inusfferably slow—but since my laptop is getting everything promised, this means my desktop system is the culprit.

At the same time I installed BT Infinity, I installed Windows 7 (as has my laptop).

Frequently, when I go to broadbandpspeedchecker.com, the download will reach the high twenties and more. The problem is, that—not my computer but the download itself will freeze. I can sit watching broadbandspeedchecker.com's dial stuck solid, for anything up to a minute. Thus, when broadbandspeedckecker.com returns a result of, say, 28.5MB dowload speed, it is a (very) false reading.

I also have installed a neat little utility called bitmeter.com (it's free)—and it tells me, amongst other things that my average download speed for the past month is just over ONE Mb!

That isn't the Infinity I'm paying for—but as I say, I don't think BT's at fault.

Im on a wired connection. (Same problem on different cables. Same problem on a wireless dongle.) I'm on an uncommon Wireless channel (I've tried several). I've got a wireless accellerator installed (by BT's own engineer.)

So, what else could be the culprit, slowing me down so much?

T0SH 20:48 PM 28 Feb 12

BT has their own speed test here if you need to speak with BT support, this is the only test result they will accept as valid

http://test.speedtester.bt.com/

Cheers HC

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites