When I extract a .rar file using Winrar the extracted file is still in .rar format

Fleetblue 18 Nov 12

As the title says. I burned an iso file to disc which then appeared as an .rar file. I used Winrar to extract it to my desktop, but when I tried to open it it opened as a Winrar archive file. I extracted that with the same result. Another Winrar archive file! Am I missing something? Any help appreciated.

mgmcc 18 Nov 12

Instead of extracting the .RAR file directly from the disk (where it will be a "Read Only" file), copy it first to the PC's hard drive, remove its Read Only attribute if set, then extract it with Winrar.

Fleetblue 18 Nov 12

Still the same result I'm afraid. I did notice when I was extracting the file it said extracted with "Winrar Archiver". Could that have anything to do with it?

alanrwood 18 Nov 12

I have known some rar files which did contain other rar files which then also needed to be un-rar'd. just a thought.

lotvic 18 Nov 12

Maybe you need to check each .rar as you come to them to see if they in turn are 'read only'

lotvic 18 Nov 12

Have you tried with 7zip? http://www.7-zip.org/ it's free and efficient. Archiver just means that the files are compressed into a .rar file.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Wacom Cintiq 27QHD review

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message