When I extract a .rar file using Winrar the extracted file is still in .rar format

Fleetblue 09:57 AM 18 Nov 12

As the title says. I burned an iso file to disc which then appeared as an .rar file. I used Winrar to extract it to my desktop, but when I tried to open it it opened as a Winrar archive file. I extracted that with the same result. Another Winrar archive file! Am I missing something? Any help appreciated.

mgmcc 10:17 AM 18 Nov 12

Instead of extracting the .RAR file directly from the disk (where it will be a "Read Only" file), copy it first to the PC's hard drive, remove its Read Only attribute if set, then extract it with Winrar.

Fleetblue 10:35 AM 18 Nov 12

Still the same result I'm afraid. I did notice when I was extracting the file it said extracted with "Winrar Archiver". Could that have anything to do with it?

alanrwood 12:13 PM 18 Nov 12

I have known some rar files which did contain other rar files which then also needed to be un-rar'd. just a thought.

lotvic 13:16 PM 18 Nov 12

Maybe you need to check each .rar as you come to them to see if they in turn are 'read only'

lotvic 13:30 PM 18 Nov 12

Have you tried with 7zip? http://www.7-zip.org/ it's free and efficient. Archiver just means that the files are compressed into a .rar file.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites