When I extract a .rar file using Winrar the extracted file is still in .rar format

Fleetblue 09:57 18 Nov 12

As the title says. I burned an iso file to disc which then appeared as an .rar file. I used Winrar to extract it to my desktop, but when I tried to open it it opened as a Winrar archive file. I extracted that with the same result. Another Winrar archive file! Am I missing something? Any help appreciated.

mgmcc 10:17 18 Nov 12

Instead of extracting the .RAR file directly from the disk (where it will be a "Read Only" file), copy it first to the PC's hard drive, remove its Read Only attribute if set, then extract it with Winrar.

Fleetblue 10:35 18 Nov 12

Still the same result I'm afraid. I did notice when I was extracting the file it said extracted with "Winrar Archiver". Could that have anything to do with it?

alanrwood 12:13 18 Nov 12

I have known some rar files which did contain other rar files which then also needed to be un-rar'd. just a thought.

lotvic 13:16 18 Nov 12

Maybe you need to check each .rar as you come to them to see if they in turn are 'read only'

lotvic 13:30 18 Nov 12

Have you tried with 7zip? http://www.7-zip.org/ it's free and efficient. Archiver just means that the files are compressed into a .rar file.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Honor 5X review: Hands-on with the new budget phone from Hauwei's young brand

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

You can now publish data visualisations to the web from Power BI

Complete guide to Apple's campus 2, everything we know about the new spaceship HQ, plus: new drone…