When I connect my Netgear Asdl modem

keithsb 00:37 06 Aug 07

When I can connect my Netgear wireless router, the phones in my house wont work, I have 2 telephones, both on filters, wont work at all, I have tried in both sockets and also tried unplugging 1 phone and still no Joy. I am with orange broadband, even if modem not on phones still wont work!!!! HELP

ambra4 00:50 06 Aug 07

Simplify the entire phone wiring in your house to an absolute minimum.

Even sockets with no phones plugged in can cause problems with your ADSL, so disconnect them if you can.

Test your router/modem with your pc on the first socket in your house (where the phone line comes into your dwelling) do this with all phones and internal wiring disconnected. (To disconnect internal wiring to test, remove the lower half of the NTE (bt main socket) and plug in on the test socket in behind) this puts you on the end of the BT network.

If you can get a connection at the test socket but nowhere else on your internal wiring, you have a problem with that wiring.

The number of people I have visited that tell me 'I have no problems with my wiring' only for me to see trapped wiring under doors, carpets and other high traffic areas, wires that have been stretched to hell to reach pc's/router/phones. Damp sockets, damaged internal wiring, ancient phones, incorrectly plugged in wiring/old modem cables/modem cables plugged into network ports in routers.

All these add up to YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

CHECK, CHECK and CHECK again for all of these problems.

Any of these issues can and will cause you to have broadband problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…