When is an external HD internal?

Diemmess 16:46 04 Dec 09

My first PC using SATA is already old by some standards. I'm only used to the older IDE hardware.
I've had reason to buy an extra HD (SATA) and a suitable case for it.

It all works as it should, but in addition to the bundle of spare screws and a tiny CD with unneeded drivers, there is a socket for Data(SATA) to connect the back panel with the motherboard.

This presumably means that I can plug in a SATA device (with its own power supply)usually a DVD burner?
in fact using an HD as a secondary drive, NOT an external device?

If so, what happens if I then plug in a cloned HD (also with the same XP loaded)?
Does the computer challenge me to say which disk is the boot disk or worse, throw a wobbly?

GaT7 16:59 04 Dec 09

From what I understand, you purchased a SATA hard drive & an external enclosure & want to know if the enclosure is installable in the PC case's 5.25" drive bay?

"If so, what happens if I then plug in a cloned HD (also with the same XP loaded)? Does the computer challenge me to say which disk is the boot disk or worse, throw a wobbly?" - shouldn't make a difference, as the original OS drive will be already set as the 1st boot device in the BIOS. G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:01 04 Dec 09

BIOS sets boot order
you can set IDE or SATA as first choice

if SATA then it will work its way through the SATA ports starting at the lowest numbered port.

Technotiger 17:04 04 Dec 09

I am a bit tired, so am blaming that for not exactly understanding your query - However, you could fit the SATA drive internally if you have room for it, you could use a SATA/IDE adapter plug to connect it to your IDE mobo.

Diemmess 17:41 04 Dec 09

....I have standard mid range PC.
SATA and its subtleties are new to me having not had cause to fiddle much in 3 years with this one.

There is the original HD (SATA) and for reasons which will only confuse, I have just bought a new HD(SATA)and enclosure, allowing me eventually to use this as an External HD.

I was able to clone the PC's HD to the new HD and by swopping with the one inside the PC, checked that the system worked normally with either alone and without protest.

At Last the question!
The enclosure box has the means of joining the SATA cable socket on the enclosure, to the SATA bus-bar (if that's the term) via the PC back panel.

Will this behave as a 'fixed' secondary drive with faster data transfer or will Windows throw a wobbly when it detects XP on the latest drive as well as the fixed one?

Its an academic question really, but the idea of a fixed drive when it is external has some possibilities for meddling!

Technotiger 17:46 04 Dec 09

I am only guessing, but might the rear SATA connection simply be another way, in addition to USB, of attaching the external drive enclosure. One might have run-out of USB sockets, for instance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:46 04 Dec 09

Will this behave as a 'fixed' secondary drive with faster data transfer

Yes

will Windows throw a wobbly when it detects XP on the latest drive as well as the fixed one?

No

Diemmess 17:51 04 Dec 09

Just what I was hoping but anxious not to upset a valid system.

There was no point in adding that I have had quite a long time using IDE and external drives to save the important files and system backups etc.

Diemmess 17:55 04 Dec 09

Your point is good too, I have one USB socket left but for the present I have had doubts about the integrity of the original HD, hence the clone as a standby for the next few weeks.

GaT7 18:05 04 Dec 09

"The enclosure box has the means of joining the SATA cable socket on the enclosure, to the SATA bus-bar (if that's the term) via the PC back panel.

Will this behave as a 'fixed' secondary drive with faster data transfer..."

Is this an eSATA socket click here? If yes, then it should run quicker than if connecting it via USB. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…