when building a pc....

jesta 21:39 13 Feb 05

does anyone ever use an anti-static wriststrap when building a pc?and is carpet a bad place to build a pc on?
regards,
jesta

stalion 21:42 13 Feb 05

yes you should use one and stand on a rubber mat if possible

josie mayhem 22:41 13 Feb 05

Strap yes, not willing to risk, touch the computer to de-static myself, all for the sack of a couple of quid.

Hum, I don't use a perpose made anti-static matt, but use a large piece of thick cardboard, and use a anti-static bag from a mobo on top of the cardboard. So far I haven't fried any form of chip due to static.

And sometimes I ponder weather this is urban myth!? but I'm not willing to find out all for the sack of a couple of quid, it better to be safe than sorry!!

Chezdez 22:45 13 Feb 05

yes, carpet is possibly the worst place you coul build a PC :S

best off doing it on a desk, with an anti-static wrist band on, connected to the case, which in turn should have the power supply fitted and plugged into the wall, with the socket OFF

EdFrench 22:47 13 Feb 05

Definately NO urbane myth. I have found out to my cost. £40.00 #~%$**

hugh-265156 22:53 13 Feb 05

with my computer i normally do use an anti static strap when i am working inside the case and handling components and so on but most times if its just to clean a fan for example then i dont bother. i just be careful not to wear my shell suit at the time :-) no problems so far. i`m a bit more careful if its not my computer.

Lady Lara 22:54 13 Feb 05

Strap ---- yes!!!! without shadow...

Building on a Carpet??? Mind your back !!! Use a table!!

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 23:03 13 Feb 05

I never wore an anti-static strap.

i even left the mobo on the carpet when prepearing it.

shows how carefull i am

but i never had any probs

sidecar sid 23:03 13 Feb 05

Never used one.

All the PCs i have built have been constructed on a sheet of cardboard in the dining room table(didn't want to scratch the table)the only static precautions i take are to touch the metal case of the PC occasionally and avoid wearing nylon underpants.

Buchan 35 23:17 13 Feb 05

We used to have a saying that only the good die young. Ben stop taking foolish chances. I hope you`re not thinking "this won`t happen to me" well try this for a parallel. How many threads have you read on this forum where the writer wanted help to clear the PC because He/She had`nt bothered to load even a free antivirus because "it would`nt happen to them????

THE TERMINATOR 23:23 13 Feb 05

I used to have an anti-static wrist band but it went walkies years ago. I always touch the inside of the case though to de-static myself whenever I am inside the pc. I have always built/upgraded my pc(s) in the bedroom, on the carpet, and have never had any probs in 10 years....TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…