When A Backup Trashes Data!

Tonight I wanted to backup my slave drive 30Gb partition (drive H), which contains my MP3 music collection (approx 16Gb used) to a free partition on the same drive, (drive J).

I decided to try out Handy Backup 2.1 from a Computer Shopper disc.

During the process, it reported that some files could not be accessed.

I checked the backup (drive J), and using 2xExplorer, was going to compare it with the original in the opposite pane, but there was no data!

On re-booting the PC I find the slave drive is no longer shown in My Computer, and Partition Magic shows it as having 76Gb unallocated.

I'm hoping that the data is still there.

Can anyone recommend a free data recovery tool and advice on how to access what appears to be an unformatted drive?

jazzypop 23:23 29 Jun 03

The most succesful tool I have used for recovering 'lost' partitions is Acronis Recovery Expert. Go to acronis.co.uk and you will see that they have trial versions for download - the full product is only £22.50

Incidentally, if you are running XP, try unplugging the slave drive, power off, power on, and close down again. Then re-connectthe drive, power up, right-click My Computer, choose Manage, go to Disk Management - if your slave drive is listed, right-click it and mount it. It has worked for me before on a couple of systems.

Thanks jazzypop, but I'm running Win95, is it still worth trying?

Is the trial version of Acronis limited in any way?

jazzypop 00:09 30 Jun 03

W95 is supported by Acronis.

I'm sorry, I have no idea if the trial version is limited, as I am using the full version.

Am now running Acronis in the 'slow' mode for more accurate results, as the first test in standard mode did not give the results I was hoping for.

It's been running for 7 hours now and still has a long way to go, but I'm hoping it will be worth it.

Will close this thread for now, thanks for your input jazzypop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…