When is Anti Virus Not Anti Virus

Jester2K II 10:18 09 Sep 03

There is a thread here about Norton AV not being able to delete or quarantine a virus.

Last night i saw a PC running McAfee (all up to date and set up correctly) which had a virus running on it. However McAfee had no alerted the user of it presence. It had got on to the PC and then started with every boot up for a while - not a peep from the AV.

It was only when i saw the suspicious entry in the Startup list and i specifically asked it to scan the file that it announced "Virus Found!!"

McAfee then also told me it couldn't delete or quarantine the virus. I had to remove the startup entry, reboot and then get the AV to work.

If i was less PC savvy then i would be stuck!!!

AVG Free Edition has never let me down so why do the "big AVs" of Norton and McAfee behave like this?? Surely Norton or McAfee should be able to shut down a running virus and kill it??

Or is that too much??

Jester2K II 10:22 09 Sep 03

Ooopps This is the "live" one - my cat found the Enter key....

Jester2K II 10:24 09 Sep 03

When i say "AVG Free Edition has never let me down.." I mean its alway altered me to the presense of a virus on a CD, floppy or in any folder before i can touch it.

I've put AVG into virus ridden PCs (i think 6 or 7 was the highest count) and its deleted and killed EVERY SINGLE ONE FIRST TIME.

Jester2K II 10:25 09 Sep 03

When i say "AVG Free Edition has never let me down.." I mean its alway alerted me to the presence of a virus on a CD, floppy or in any folder before i can touch it.

I've put AVG into virus ridden PCs (i think 6 or 7 was the highest count) and its deleted and killed EVERY SINGLE ONE FIRST TIME.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…