what'sthe best graphics card for serious gamers?

007juk 21:01 26 Feb 03

looking to upgrade my PC and as I play games a lot on my PC I would like some advice on graphics cards. I will also have to change my motherboard because I have only PCI slots.

Thank you.

hugh-265156 23:06 26 Feb 03

very tasty! click here

Gaz 25 23:16 26 Feb 03

Ge Force 4 Ti4800,

The new Qudro is good though, and expencive £607.

All avaliable at click here

Just click Video Cards (Near the bottom I think) and click on the make then select your model!!!

Ironman556 23:33 26 Feb 03

I've just bought a GF4 Ti 4200, it can apparently be clocked to Ti4600 speed easily. The Albatron which I have comes with fan/heatsink already attached. They are also a lot cheaper than the top of the range GF4's.

I know someone with a Radeon 9500 Pro, and he say's it's great. If you're looking at a Radeon, then try Sapphire as the brand as they're almost the same and are cheaper.

The GF4 is great, and although limited by my PC looks great and can play most games I throw at it. There's a couple of really GPU intensive games I'm having trouble with, but I think that's because the rest of my PC isn't up to the job.

kane_2002k 23:36 26 Feb 03

or a geforce fx, if u can put up with the noise that is. However u should be aware that presently there is a problem with the drivers of the geforce fx, cause edges to appear slated on the moniter in some games notabley serious sam. Personnonlly i would go for the ATI radoen 9700 in standard or pro depending what ur budget is

Neo_0147 23:40 26 Feb 03

Id recommend a Geforce 4. Whatever model you can afford. Ive got a Ti4600 and saw a big improvement in the quality of display form my previous graphics card, such as in windows etc. But also has excellent graphics in games aswell.

froggg 00:11 27 Feb 03

If your computer hasnt got an agp slot,it probably isnt worth getting a quality card,because the rest of the system will be the bottle neck,look for a pci graphics card to upgrade what you got,then budget for a full upgrade later.

Belatucadrus 01:20 27 Feb 03

I think froggg is right, if your motherboard is old enough to be missing an AGP, it's may be incompatible with your RAM or CPU and it may not fit in your case. So be very careful about upgrading that way. You don't say what graphics you have at the moment but click here may be worth a look. The Geforce4 MX420 isn't the cutting edge kit recommended by the others, but it may give you existing set up a boost.

vaughan007 11:33 27 Feb 03

At the end of the day it really depends how much you want to spend.

As graphic cards change VERY quickly I suggest buying a PC magazine a day or two before you intend to buy one and reading some reviews. Many magazines will have a section saying what they think is the best purchase for a particular price range.

And yes.....make sure it is compatible before you buy!

Finally, I have heard that some graphics cards dont fit into some PC cases. Not sure if this is true because I have never had this problem personally. But it seems possible because some new cards are physically enormous (and can be noisy too).

Hope some of this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…