What's your PC housekeeping routine?

Jackcoms 10:17 31 Dec 04

There are many threads in this Forum about virus and malware attacks. I thought it might be worth sharing our PC housekeeping routines with each other.

I run XP SP2 and use Norton AV, a2, Spybot, Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard.

I regularly (not quite daily) ensure that their definitions are up to date. Once a week I clean my PC with CCleaner and then run ALL of the above scanners. I also run Stinger and CWShredder.

I then run Check Disk and defrag my hard drive. Finally I take a full back-up of ‘Everyone’s Documents and Settings’.

Every other week, I disable System Restore and run all the above procedures. This ensures that no nasties are caught in memory between restore points.

The whole ‘regime’ takes about 90 minutes!

Have I missed something? Am I sad or paranoid or both?

What do others do?

mattyc_92 10:52 31 Dec 04

I use "Norton Internet Security" to keep "hackers away.... I use "Norton Anti-Virus" at least once a week...

I then use "Ad-Aware SE Professional" once a week to scan for viruses....

I normally use CCleaner at least once a week, but have recently upgraded my drive!!!!

I use "Acronis True Image 8.0" about once a week to backup my system onto my old 30gb drive.....

I obviously try to keep my "virus defections" up-to-date as well....

JaßîsFaß ˜ 11:02 31 Dec 04

Daily: Run AVG 7 and AdAware SE (20 mins)

Also have ZA, Tea Timer, Cookie Wall, SpywareGuard, Spyware Blaster running.

I use Spybot and CWShredder if I feel that something has infected my PC.

Most definitions update automatically but check them all once a week.

Never had to use CCleaner yet.

Scheduled defrags of C and D every fortnight.
Scheduler Disk Clean up once a week.

Just started to back up my documents, and probably do this every two months.

Thinking of getting external hard drive when my computer is a year old to image back up the C drive.

Are some of us better at housekeeping our PC than we are our own abodes?

Urotsukidoji 11:17 31 Dec 04

daily: all definitions (norton av, adaware,) up to date.
alternate days: full av scan, adaware scan
weekly: full backup, windows update
monthly: drivers update if necessary

curlylad 11:21 31 Dec 04

Sad , paranoid ? I think not careful and astute I would say.Most of us have the likes of Spybot , Ad-Aware , CCleaner etc etc ad infinitum on our systems , some have more of these types of program than others , the point is that as long as they are regularly updated and then run as soon as you have the latest update , or run once a week which ever is sooner , then everything should be hokey dokey.Good thread !

Mysticnas 11:31 31 Dec 04

I check for norton updates at least once a day, sometimes 2 or 3 times, windows updates every other day if not every day.

I defrag my C (windows) drive every week and the other 13 drives as and when they need to be, usually once every 3-4 weeks.

I run Lavasoft and Spybot amongst other similar tools at least 3-4 times a week. (lavasoft almost every day).

Mr Mistoffelees 11:37 31 Dec 04

Norton Internet Security, inc antivirus auto-protect and ad-blocking, run all the time and updated weekly. I update and run Spybot, and re-immunise, once every week or two. IE and Opera are set to delete temporary internet files when closed and I run Norton Cleansweep from time to time. I run Norton Windoctor often so that Windows problems do not accumulate and cause trouble.

Jackcoms 11:38 31 Dec 04

Curlylad

Thanks for your reassurance! Glad to know I'm not the only one. :-))

DrScott 11:40 31 Dec 04

I'm perhaps a little less thorough, but I don't spend a great deal of time online.

I use AVG 7 free edition, and it seems to autoupdate, but I still manually check for updates everytime on go online. I also use Adaware and Spybot S&D, and ZoneAlarms Firewall (the free version). Oh, XP Pro is on autoupdate, and I use cyberscrub every now and then to tidy up the HD... usually gives me and extra GB of HD space.

As for backing up, I'm terrible at doing that, but then again I'm not going to lose thousands if my laptop crashes. Prob would only backup My Documents anyway, and my mp3s.

Mr Mistoffelees 12:01 31 Dec 04

When I remember I refresh my back-up dvd+rw.

Jackcoms 15:35 01 Jan 05

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…