What's wrong with this setup?...

martjc 20:36 25 Apr 06

Machine 1. presently using Win 98 - but may be upgraded to XP.

Machine 2. Laptop using Win XP.

Both connected to 4 port wireless and ethernet router.

Machine 1 can log on to internet, but cannot see machine 2.

Machine 2. can log on to internet, but cannot see machine 1.

I have read that what I need is transparent bridging, and also that XPs netconfig prog does this automatically, but one machine must have BOTH types of connection, wired & wireless.

What would be the point of that?? It's either wired or wireless, surely???

How can I get these two machines to see each other across the network?

martjc 20:38 25 Apr 06

Laptop will connect either way. Machine 1 has no wireless access.

Chris-238213 21:13 25 Apr 06

If I understand you correctly you have a wireless modem/router to which both PC's are connected wirelessly giving you internet access.

If you look in network neighberhood (win 98) or my network places (XP) can you see the other PC? If not are both PC's on the same workgroup?

Have you set up a shared folder on each PC?

mgmcc 21:45 25 Apr 06

<<< I have read that what I need is transparent bridging, and also that XPs netconfig prog does this automatically, but one machine must have BOTH types of connection, wired & wireless. >>>

I have no idea what "transparent" bridging is, no idea what XP's "netconfig program" is and you certainly don't need to have one computer connected with both a wired and a wireless connection to the router.

The most common reason for networked computers not seeing one another is a firewall blocking access. Have you configured any firewall software to allow access? At least one folder should be set as "shared" in each PC.

Each PC should be able to 'ping' the other.

In the network Properties of Windows 98 (right click Network Neighborhood and select Properties), click the File & Printer Sharing button and ensure one or both boxes are ticked as appropriate. If the Primary Network Logon is set to "Client for Microsoft Networks", when you boot the PC you should be presented with a Network Login box. It is important that you don't close this via the [X} in the top right corner, or press Esc, as this will prevent you from accessing the network.

In one of the PCs, open My Network Places (Network Neighborhood) and try entering the path to the remote PC into the address bar at the top, either by name or by IP address:

\\computername

\\192.168.x.x

martjc 23:02 25 Apr 06

M235374. No, Laptop is wireless, machine 1 is wired, should they not be able to see each other?

MGMCC. The netconfig prog is 'netsetup' Microsoft gave the advice about bridgeing. I suppose my main question is: Should netsetup configure this properly? The MS article is : click here

But it seems unclear.

Still needing help

mgmcc 07:53 26 Apr 06

Forget that article. It relates to a situation where one PC has two or more network adapters that are bridged and there are multiple computers then connecting to the network bridge. You are not doing anything like that - you have two computers connecting directly to a router. There should be no other network connection between them.

Something which might help to get the two talking is to use "IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol". This doesn't need configuring with IP addresses and so on like TCP/IP and isn't affected by firewalls. However, for internet access, TCP/IP is still required.

To install "IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" in Windows XP, go into the Network Connections folder, right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. In the General tab, click the Install button. In the next box, highlight Protocol and click Add. Select "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" and click OK.

In Windows 98, in Network Properties (right click Network Neighborhood and select Properties), click the "Add" button. In the next box, select Protocol and click "Add". In the next again box, highlight Microsoft in the left window and then IPX/SPX- compatible Protocol in the right window, then click OK. Back in the main Network Properties, highlight the IPX/SPX entry that relates to your network adapter and select Properties. In the NetBIOS tab, tick the box for "I want to enable etc.." and click OK. With Windows 98, you will need to reboot the computer after making changes to the Network Properties.

Also in the Windows 98 Network Properties, click the "File & Printer Sharing" button and ensure you have one or both boxes ticked as appropriate.

arky 10:51 26 Apr 06

Someone tried to set up a network for one that does not exist (kids!!) When i staup up sometimes it loads everything normally then after 2-3 starts it will start and then not load the modem and i have to restart again then it works ok again does anyone know how i can clear the non exixtant network so my computer loads good everytime? -running XP home.

martjc 11:51 26 Apr 06

...why don't you start your own thread? All members of the forum will then see your message, not just those visiting my thread!

martjc 12:10 26 Apr 06

...I think I'll need time to read that a few times and take it in. Will probably print it and follow one line at a time.

Defining my problem more clearly:- The Laptop, when searching for networks [wirelessly] finds "swamr-80345", the name of the router I'm using. Now, something tells me that if I try to use that as the name of a network on the [wired] computer, it will not work.
I appear to have two networks - can't be right??

mgmcc 12:47 26 Apr 06

There are two separate names - (a) the router's SSID (the wireless network name or "Service Set Identifier") and (b) the name of your computers' Local Area Network, which is the WORKGROUP that each computer must be a member of.

You only have one network, but Wireless Network Adapters communicate with a Wireless Router by "Connecting" (logging in) to it after scanning and finding the SSID name that it broadcasts. Once connected, you run your Local Area Network from within "My Network Places" where the computers are all part of your Workgroup.

The Router's SSID has no significance whatsoever as far as *WIRED* ethernet connections are concerned.

There is of course no reason why the Wireless Routers' SSID and your LAN's Workgroup name should not be given the *same* name, which mine had until I recently installed a new router and added "2" to the SSID name :-)

martjc 09:00 27 Apr 06

...it's becoming a bit clearer now. I'll try your advice and if any problem, may start a new thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…