What's running in the background?

no-name 17:08 11 Sep 04

I've been trying to run ScanDisk in 'Thorough' mode but it keeps getting interrupted and I get a message that "...Windows or another program is writing to this drive".

I did Ctrl/Alt/Delete and only left ScanDisk and Explorer running; and I tried the same under 'Safe' mode with no success.

I've run Ad-Aware, XoftSpy and AVG but nothing found.

How can I find out what's running?

O/s Windows ME.

sidecar sid 17:18 11 Sep 04
  Old Shep 18:20 11 Sep 04

You can either download and use click here or start up in safe mode and then run scandisk. If I remember correctly in ME when you reboot you hold down the Ctrl key to reach the option for safe mode.

no-name 20:48 11 Sep 04

Thanks sidecar sid and Old Shep. I've tried those but the ScanDisk is still being interrupted by something.

canard 21:55 11 Sep 04

The little digicam that sits on top of the PC can write merrily to disc if plugged in.

Dan the Confused 22:24 11 Sep 04

Just to clarify, are you saying it won't even run in DOS mode?

Dan the Confused 22:28 11 Sep 04

(Command Prompt in ME, same thing.)

no-name 11:32 12 Sep 04

Dan the Confused it doesn't run in Safe mode - is that the same as DOS mode?

no-name 11:33 12 Sep 04

canard I don't have a digicam.

Dan the Confused 11:37 12 Sep 04

Read sidecar sid's link again. Run it from the command prompt (nowt to do with safe mode).

Kinetic 13:48 12 Sep 04

Switch off the screen saver. Safe mode will not prevent it from running and scandisk does not like it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…