Whats a RAID controller?

Trikie 22:14 02 Jun 05

I have got a trial version of Pinnacle Studio9 to try video editing. Having no capture card I bought from a local shop a Newlink IEEE 1394A 3 Port PCI card and installed it. That is the limit of my technical ability and knowledge!!

Despite the camera being switched on in playback mode and connected to the capture card Pinnacle cannot initialize it. I have looked at Device Manager and a RAID controller is not working as it has no driver. No make is shown, just PCI bus0 device 15 function 0. I assume it's the Newlink board, but it came without an installation CD. How can I get a driver?

DieSse 22:18 02 Jun 05

Your Newlink board is nothing whatsoever to do with RAID.

RAID = Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives

ie - it's a disk drive controller.

Your newlink card is a FireWire controller.

DieSse 22:19 02 Jun 05

Is the 1394 controller shown in Devive Manager, and with no symbols to show it's inoperative?

mattyc_92 22:24 02 Jun 05

I know what RAID is, but how can you remember "RAID = Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives"???? Are you magic??? lol

DieSse 22:31 02 Jun 05

After 40 years of computing one remembers the odd thing or two - however I think I've now got to the threshold where I'm beginning to forget them again ;-))

Trikie 22:42 02 Jun 05

Thanks. I now have 2 queries

1 - if the RAID is a disk drive controller and there is a yellow question mark against it and a screen saying the drivers for this device are not installed (code 28)what is the effect and what installation CD do I need to load the driver?

2 - Device Manager shows an IEEE 1394 Bus host controller, no problem marker. What else could be causing the problem with Pinnacle recognising the DV camera?

DieSse 22:54 02 Jun 05

1. - It'll be marked because you have no drives connected to it - if you did have drives connected to it, and it wasn't working, your whole system would not work at all - so you can safely ignore it.

2. - I'm sorry but I don't know how to help with that - have you looked on the Pinnacle site for clues?

I suspect you haven't setup the software correctly, or maybe even your camera is not supported?

DieSse 22:56 02 Jun 05

PS - I seem to remember having worked on some Pinnacle gear some tme ago - and you had to tell it which of the various inputs your camera is connected to.

Trikie 22:56 02 Jun 05

Thanks DieSse. Thats put my mind at rest about RAID and as you suggest I'll try the Pinnacle site.

DieSse 22:59 02 Jun 05

Have a look here - see the notes about some cameras at the bottom - and also how to run certain tests.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…