What's Python 2.2.3 please?

Halmer 20:39 03 Jan 06

I have a pre loaded program called Python in add/remove programs but it isn't shown under Start/All programs.

Does anyone know waht this is please?

SG Atlantis® 20:39 03 Jan 06

is it a compaq computer?

it's on mine too

Halmer 20:40 03 Jan 06

Yes it's a compaq

VoG II 20:41 03 Jan 06

click here ?????????????????

Halmer 20:41 03 Jan 06

What is Python?
Python is an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming language. It is often compared to Tcl, Perl, Scheme or Java.

Python combines remarkable power with very clear syntax. It has modules, classes, exceptions, very high level dynamic data types, and dynamic typing. There are interfaces to many system calls and libraries, as well as to various windowing systems (X11, Motif, Tk, Mac, MFC, wxWidgets). New built-in modules are easily written in C or C++. Python is also usable as an extension language for applications that need a programmable interface.

The Python implementation is portable: it runs on many brands of UNIX, on Windows, OS/2, Mac, Amiga, and many other platforms. If your favorite system isn't listed here, it may still be supported, if there's a C compiler for it. Ask around on news:comp.lang.python -- or just try compiling Python yourself.

The Python implementation is copyrighted but freely usable and distributable, even for commercial use.

SG Atlantis® 20:42 03 Jan 06

just leave it there, here's my thread click here it's still unresolved as I don't know what it is.

I haven't had the nerve to try and remove it incase it's something to do with recovery or the like.

Halmer 20:42 03 Jan 06

don't really know what it actualy does though!

SG Atlantis® 20:45 03 Jan 06

I think it's there because one of HP's preinstalled programs needs it to run. But which program? I don't know, but it's small and doesn't do any harm.

mattyc_92 20:46 03 Jan 06

According to this (click here) it is simliar to Microsoft's .NET.........

Offical site for MS .NET is click here if that helps.....

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:31 03 Jan 06

As Halmer says, Python is an interpreted programming language. This means that it is compiled, or translated into "machine code", at run time.

I would imagine that this program you have is the python equivalent of the Java JRE. Absolutely necessary if you wish to run programs written in that language, entirely dispensable if you don't.

The runtime environment (don't know what it is actually called) is freely available for download. I would suggest you search your computer for a python related .exe, if you don't find one download it (google will help) once you are sure you have the file to reinstall in the event of problems you can safely remove this program through add/remove programs. If you have problems then you can reinstall.

Alternatively, I believe python files have a .py extension, search your system for this, if you don't have any I would imagine you can safely remove the program.

Incidentally, my computer came with this. i played with the language for a while but decided to learn a different language and removed the program. I have suffered no ill effects.

HTH

SG Atlantis® 21:35 03 Jan 06

as it's only 28meg on each entry (x2 in add/remove programs) making 56meg I left it alone.

My PC came with 320gig of space, and I would never even fill that in a century of use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac