whats a Operating System Reinstallation CD

Mit123 19:02 11 Oct 06

i am building my dell on click here and would like to know what is a Operating System Reinstallation CD and its £5.88. what is this CD and is a good deal?????

sean-278262 19:06 11 Oct 06

It is a windows disk or a disk that has windows and all the main drivers so if you have a problem you can restore the computer to the factory settings aka nothing but what you got in the box.

Totally-braindead 19:06 11 Oct 06

I believe its Windows XP with the Dell drivers, its locked to the computer as far as I know and you can't use it on another one but its very useful if things go really badly in that you can start from scratch again.
The Dell just comes with windows preinstalled - no XP disk I believe to cut costs.

sean-278262 19:07 11 Oct 06

Is it a good deal, yes and no, yes in that you dont have to do it yourself, no in that you can technically install all your programs and the setup of the system and then restore everything back meaning you dont have to spend hours installing Office and whatever else you install.

spuds 19:12 11 Oct 06

For the extra £5.88 go for it. This cd will cost you more at a later date.

Totally-braindead 19:14 11 Oct 06

Considering its only a bit over a fiver I have to agree with spuds. You might not need it but if things go badly its useful to know you can put the computer back to the way you got it.

Mit123 19:14 11 Oct 06

does this mean thats it has windows xp on the disc aswell, so if anything goes wrong i ca reinstall windows???????

sean-278262 19:15 11 Oct 06

Yes. Simple really it means you can be up and running again in under an hour. If you got a standard disk you would need to get the drivers online but this CD will have them at the ready. I would take it unless you are very comforable using computers.

Mit123 19:18 11 Oct 06

does this mean thats it has windows xp on the disc aswell, so if anything goes wrong i ca reinstall windows???????

Totally-braindead 19:24 11 Oct 06

Yes. Windows will be preinstalled on your computer but you do not get a windows cd. The reinstallation disk is your windows disk plus it has any extra drivers you may need for your machine.
As I said earlier for £5 you'd be as well buying it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…