Whats On My System?

Molly_Don 10:27 11 Sep 08

I have windows xp, how do I find out everything that's on my sustem?

Then, how do I delete what I don't need?

Will it be safe to just delete what I don't need?

My probelem is, alot of stuff like programmes I'm not going to reconise, no idea what I should be deleting.

peter99co 10:34 11 Sep 08

Are you short of space on the hard drive?

TonyM 10:52 11 Sep 08

If you're not sure - leave it alone,.....unless as peter99co says you are short of hard drive space ?

jack 11:00 11 Sep 08

At your level of expertise all is best left alone for fear of doing something you didntoughta

Marko797 11:02 11 Sep 08

go to settings/ctrl panel/add or remove programmes which wil tell you what programmes u currently have installed.

These are usually named and therefore easily identifiable as to what they are.

If there are any which you no longer use/need/want, then u can uninstall from there safely.

After u've uninstalled, then run CCleaner registry to clear out any dross that would be left by the uninstall.

Molly_Don 11:30 11 Sep 08

Thanks for the help

I've no idea how much space I have on my hard drive, this is what it say under properties on C:

Used space: 13.8GB
Free space: 60.6GB

Clapton is God 11:38 11 Sep 08

So you have 60.6GB available - which hardly equates to a shortage!

Molly_Don 11:51 11 Sep 08

In add / remover on the top, there is a "Show Updates" should I tick that box or leave it unchecked?

peter99co 11:55 11 Sep 08

Leave well alone.

Just make sure you have anti-virus etc. and keep updating your machine with Microsoft updates.

Read the forums to learn how to maintain your system in good order.

Enjoy using it and don't worry about how it works to much. Tinkering is best left until you know more about your machine. Even then it is not good practice to change settings to much.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

peter99co 11:59 11 Sep 08

Leave unchecked for now. Remember that most settings are pre-set at best option. If you keep ticking and unticking you will lose the default settings.

Molly_Don 11:59 11 Sep 08

OK peter, I just wanted to make sure there was nothing on my system that shouldn't be there.

I wouldn't tinker with anything as I have no idea what I'm doing, however, when I do a scan with S&D it keeps coming up with programmes that I don't reconise, I just delete them as I have no idea what else I should do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5