What's my maximum ram capacity?

cheerup347 00:13 19 Sep 09

Hi,

I have a Pentium D quad core PC running windows 7 and I currently have 2gb Ram installed in my comouter. I have 4 slots and wish to upgrade.

How can I find out what my maximum ram capacity is?

also even if the motherboards maximum capacity is (for example) 8gb... will my operating system have anything to do with it?

Thanks

birdface 00:21 19 Sep 09

Just let the scanner run it will tell you what you can get and how much it will cost.

click here

rdave13 00:29 19 Sep 09

As buteman but also read the info that came with your PC on the motherboard. If you had a manual that is. Crucial's scanner is not fool proof but pretty good. Use the motherboard name to get compatible ram modules rather than the auto scan they offer.

DieSse 00:34 19 Sep 09

"will my operating system have anything to do with it?"

Yes -

32-bit Windows operating systems basically have a 4GB address space. Since some is taken up by various hardware bits in the system, max RAM will be 3-3.5GB roughly speaking (even if you fit more).

64bit Windows OSs don't have that limitation.

OTT_Buzzard 00:41 19 Sep 09

will my operating system have anything to do with it?

no, but it will have something to do with how much RAM will be recognised. Guideline figures are max 3.5GB RAM recognised with 32 bit operating ssytem. Technical limit for 64 bit is higher than most people's budgets allow to max out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…