What's the minimum security software possible?

Pineman100 11:46 31 Aug 07

I'm using a friend's 6-yr-old laptop in France, running Windows XP SP2 Home. It's only a 1.7GHz Pentium 4 with 256MB of RAM.

I recently tried updating his security software with Norton 360 - big mistake! The machine ground almost to a halt - everything took ages to happen. So I've uninstalled 360.

I'm now trying to give him the best security I can while hogging as little system resource as possible. I've installed AVG Free Antivirus, and I've downloaded (but not yet installed) AVG Free Antispyware, and Comodo firewall.

Bearing in mind that this machine isn't used much - a bit of emailing, a bit of internet surfing from time to time - would you install the above downloads, or would you simply switch on the Windows firewall and leave it, plus AVG Free A/V, to look after things? I realise that the Windows firewall only operates downstream, but is this a big risk?

I'd be grateful for any thoughts or advice, please.

Pineman100 11:52 31 Aug 07

The machine connects to the internet via an Orange Livebox router, which has a firewall. Does it need additional firewall or spyware protection at all?

brundle 12:08 31 Aug 07

Spywareblaster, Spybot updated and immunized, don't really need a third-party firewall if the machine is protected by a router, but your choice of course.
NOD32 or Kaspersky for good protection with minimal resource use. Not free though.

Pineman100 14:11 31 Aug 07

The Windows firewall is already switched off. Good to hear that you feel the router firewall is likely to be effective.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009