What's a .IDX file?

Pineman100 17:33 27 Dec 08

I've just been given an MP3 player, so I'm still on a steep learning curve for ripping and synching to it in Windows Media Player 11 under Windows XP.

I've been storing ripped music tracks in the My Music folder, but I've discovered that this folder is full of several hundred tiny files, all called something like CA6C.IDX. They're all 32 bytes in size, but of course they each occupy 4KB of disk space.

I've tried an internet search to identify the .IDX extension, but I can't find anything that seems to relate to music files.

Can anyone tell me what these are, and whether it's safe to delete them all, please?

Condom 17:37 27 Dec 08

If memory serves me right is it not an old file from Visual Fox Pro. Not something I have seen around for some time.

Pineman100 17:45 27 Dec 08

click here has a list of (I presume) all the file types that use the .idx extension.

I don't know what Visual Fox Pro is, but it doesn't seem to appear on the list. It's certainly never been on my computer (to my knowledge).

A puzzle...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:52 27 Dec 08

What are you using to index your music files?

brundle 17:54 27 Dec 08

Index file from Nero

Pineman100 13:15 28 Dec 08

Well, being a newcomer to this game, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'index'. At present I just have them all stored in the My Music folder, with albums in a sub-folder called Albums and individual tracks in a sub-folder called Music.

Should I be doing something else?

Id still be grateful to know about those .IDX files, though. Can I delete them safely?

Pineman100 14:06 29 Dec 08

^

Can anyone help me with advice about these .idx files, please?

canarieslover 14:26 29 Dec 08

Try deleting them but don't empty recycle bin until after you are certain that they do not affect the playing of your music files. Youare not the only person who has had these files after using Media Player to rip music.
click here

Pineman100 14:32 29 Dec 08

Thanks canarieslover. That's a good idea - should have thought of it myself!

I'll report back when I've done it, in case anyone else is interested (however unlikely that may be!).

iscanut 14:32 29 Dec 08

Don't know if this is any help..click here. Do as canarieslover suggests and leave them in the recycle bin for a few weeks and see what happens.

Pineman100 14:41 29 Dec 08

OK, I've done as canarieslover suggested, and deleted all the .idx files (into the Recycle Bin).

First impressions on going into WMP 11 and trying some of my tracks - no problems.

I haven't yet tried ripping and synching anything to my MP3 player, but I'll do so and post back if I hit any problems. Meanwhile, I'll close the thread.

Many thanks to everyone who responded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017