whats holding my computers speed back

sype 23:17 19 Dec 05

when i run aquamark my score is about 25000 but looking at scores from similar spec computers i should be getting double that. are there any programs that can show whats slowing my comp down or can detect weather the graphics card is faulty?

Totally-braindead 23:20 19 Dec 05

If the graphics card was faulty it would crash when you played a game. These similar PCs you're comparing your computer to aren't overclocked or perhaps have more memory do they?

Skills 23:23 19 Dec 05

A usual source of bottleneck would be slow ram, using a slower CPU/FSB. Also if you have slower hard drives then it can take time to read data off of the drives.

Benchmarks are a pretty subjective thing so if you're pc performs well in real world tests eg gaming then i wouldnt worry.

Whats ya specs?

sype 23:35 19 Dec 05

pentium 4 560 3.6ghz HT
1024 MB DDR Ram
Xpert vision nvidia gforce 6600gt 256mb/ddr3 pci express direct x9
motherboard trigem ptgd1-la

Skills 23:41 19 Dec 05

Your specs are more than resonable as I said if it performs ok in games etc I wouldnt stress about a few points in a benchmark.

As was said others could have overclocked there components. Are you using the fastest rated RAM for your motherboard?

Totally-braindead 23:49 19 Dec 05

I also wouldn't worry too much, leave the thread open just now as out of curiousity I'm downloading Aquamark just now to see what it says about mine. Not a fair comparison perhaps as what I have is this AMD 64 3500+ with 1024mb RAM ( 2x 512MB ) 6600GT graphics 128mb, DX9c and 2 80 gig SATA drives in a RAID configuration striping to increase hard drive speed, if you know what I mean. I'll post back after I run it. I pay very little attention to benchmarks but you have got me curious.

sype 23:50 19 Dec 05

my old graphics card blew up and i asked the bloke at the computer store to fit a card a bit faster than the old one. but i try halflife 2 and doom 3 on the lowest settings and movement is very jerky. so im trying to find out a way to see if the card is faulty or my system is just slow.

sype 23:56 19 Dec 05

on other forums people have said that half there pipelines on there 6600gt were not working and when a replacement was fitted there aquamark scores shot up.

Totally-braindead 00:01 20 Dec 05

Your PC is more than fast enough to run the games you mention at full blast there is definately something wrong here. The graphics card thing, I don't know enough about it, I thought that it would either work ok or not work at all or crash the system all the time, I didn't know that it was posible to get half the pipelines to work as you mention.

DieSse 00:04 20 Dec 05

Have you installed the latest nvidia drivers - especially important if you've upgraded your graphics card. click here

Totally-braindead 00:07 20 Dec 05

Heres my thoughts for what its worth. Which graphics card drivers are you using? Are the motherboard drivers installed? Are there a lot of programs running in the background? Since you got the PC back with the new graphics card have these games always struggled or were they ok at first and gotten worse with time? Do you defrag the computer regularly? Have you ran a virus scan and is your antivirus up to date and the same for spyware?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…