What's happened? Norton Systemworks 2003

pj123 15:35 12 Mar 05

Running Athlon XP 2000 with Win 98SE.

I have Norton Systemworks 2003 Professional.

Now when I double click the Icon it takes 96 seconds before I get Norton dialogue window. Then when I click on "Begin Checkup" it takes another 92 seconds before I get the "One Button Checkup" Scanning the System window. After that, everything runs normally unless I want to run Speed Disk then it all goes slowly again.

I have tried an Uninstall and Reinstall but made no difference.

stalion 17:03 12 Mar 05

have you done a registry clean up and de-frag lately?

pj123 17:08 12 Mar 05

stalion, yes I did a registry clean up about a week ago using Regcleaner. As far as a de-frag is concerned I use Norton Speed Disk which used to take about 17 minutes to defrag a 40gb drive now takes about 2hours 47minutes to do the same job.

stalion 17:12 12 Mar 05

I gather you are not running to anti-virus programs on your pc.

pj123 17:16 12 Mar 05

I am running AVG, Adaware, Spybot and Spywareblaster, plus Sygate Firewall.

stalion 17:20 12 Mar 05

Try turning off AVG whilst not on the internet and then try norton, you can not run two anti-virus at the same time on your pc it causes conflicts.You will have to disable auto protect on norton after you boot up everytime if you are going to use AVG if you do not want to uninstall norton
Regards

It's Me 17:29 12 Mar 05

I have Norton System Works pro 2003, and notice that in 'Live UpDate' the 'Utilities' has a large Red Cross by the side of it, which I assume to mean that they are no longer providing updates for that part, although I do get regular updates for the AV. Is it possible that there is anything here which is affecting you. My One Button Check up works fine, but the Speed Disk seems to take for ever, although I put this down to XP.

I have th 2005 version waiting to be installed when I can get to it (and feel brave enough !) and it will be interesting to see if there is any diferences.

Of course, I don't suppose that any of this is any help at all, but - - - -

pj123 18:17 12 Mar 05

stalion, I haven't got two anti virus programmes running at the same time. All I have is AVG. The Norton Systemworks 2003 is only running Norton Utilities.

pj123 12:01 14 Mar 05

As it works OK once it gets going, I think I will live with it.

Thanks everyone.

Ticked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…