What's happened here then?

pj123 16:38 23 Oct 04

This is going to be a difficult thread to post.

I have been on NTL BB via my Cable TV set top box for over a year now with no problems. Today, I booted up and went to login on BB and ... nothing. Shut down and rebooted but still the same. OK, I thought maybe NTL has gone down. So I still have an AOL dialup account running so I plugged my modem in to the phone line and logged on to AOL. No problem so far, until I type in a URL then nothing happens again. All I get on the status bar is "finding uk.proxy.aol.com" but no pages open. By accident I hit the IE icon in the start bar and my NTL BB connection opened and is running perfectly. Maybe NTL is back on line so I closed everything down and tried again. The only way I can get my NTL BB connection is if I log on to AOL Dialup first and then click on the IE icon, which is how I am connected now. If I close AOL and exit I have no connection at all.

Fortunately, of course, as both NTL and AOL are monthly subscriptions I am not paying for the phone line time. But it is a drag having to log on via dialup to get BB? Anyone have any idea's please?

VoG II 16:47 23 Oct 04

Have you tried running Broadband Medic click here

Wak 16:59 23 Oct 04

The modem in your set-top box could have got a bit confused, try unplugging the set top box at the mains and let it start up again.
The sound and pictures can sometimes get out of sinc and you have to unplug the set-top box to get them back into sinc again.
Everything OK in the NTL Oldham area.

pj123 17:04 23 Oct 04

VoG™. Just downloaded that file. Obviously, I am not on BB because the download was at 5.7 and my BB speed should be somewhere between 87 and 92. Looks like I will have to ring NTL but, due to a medical problem, I am unable to speak at the moment. I will run the file and see what happens.

pj123 17:33 23 Oct 04

Wak. Unplugged the power from my TV set top box, left it for about 15 minutes and plugged in again. Everything seems to be back to normal now. I am logged in without using AOL dialup. Thanks for your input.

Rayuk 18:17 23 Oct 04

This can happen at any time you just have to switch of the set top box for minimum of 30 seconds it then resets itself when you switch back on.
Used to happen regularly with me for the first few months although now you have mentioned this cannot remember last time it happened.

Wak 18:49 23 Oct 04

PJ123, Glad it worked for you. I'm only too pleased to be able to put something back into the forum occasionally.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…