Whats a good sound card for a VIA motherboard?

theDarkness 21:37 24 Jan 05

Ive recently bought a 'Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit' sound card, but it crashes my pc after a few minutes of my machine being on each time my speakers are connected. After searching the web it seems that many Via motherboards have the same problem with these cards, so I'm wondering what the next best VIA friendly sound card would be?

I know most people say I should go for a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or Catalina card instead but these seem to get fairly average/poor reviews (especially the latter) and are supposedly not as good as the Creative cards in that they eat up more processor time and dont give true 24-bit sound etc... any ideas?

Ive come to the conclusion after my graphics card problems also that VIA arent that great a board manufacturer, at least when it comes down to AGP and PCI compatibility! Would I really be better off in simply buying a new motherboard from a different manufacturer?

Thanks for any help.

Technotiger 21:40 24 Jan 05

Hi, I have a VIA mobo and am using Soundblaster 24-bit Audigy2 with no problems at all.

Cheers.

fuzzyone 21:42 24 Jan 05

theDarkness,

I also used an audigy card for nearly 3 years with a via chipset, and had no problems whatsoever.

Has your mobo maybe got onboard sound that hasn't been disabled.?

Totally-braindead 21:46 24 Jan 05

I too have a VIA chipset motherboard with onboard sound and have a Creative Labs 5.1 Live. I had to disable the onboard sound in the Bios. Has fuzzyone hit the nail on the head here, have you disabled the onboard sound? Good name by the way fuzzyone, I like it. TBD

fuzzyone 21:49 24 Jan 05

Totally-braindead'

My kids told me to use it, as i,m kind of fuzzy at times. e.g. Cigarettes & lighter found in fridge, i also turned up for a mates wedding a week early a couple of years ago.

theDarkness 22:00 24 Jan 05

yeah Ive disabled the onboard sound (selected disable for the AC97 sound in the bios) and Im pretty sure theres nothing else in there I need to uninstall on my pc, either in the bios or add/remove programs. The card is installed ok physically. It was only after the crashes that I searched google and found that many versions of VIA motherboard had the same crashing problems?

Totally-braindead 22:02 24 Jan 05

Thats nothing, my parents went to the wrong funeral last year and only realised half way through and of course felt that they couldn't leave until the end of it. In their defence the person whos funeral it was did have the same name and lived in the same street as a friend of theres so its understandable really. Bit more fuzzy than putting your cigs in the fridge though. theDarkness sorry for hijacking your thread.

Totally-braindead 22:06 24 Jan 05

theDarkness the only bad things I've heard about VIA chipsets was older motherboards I believe the problems are all resolved (unless someone knows better). Post the make and model of your motherboard and we'll see if someone can come up with a solution to your problem as if it is something to do with VIA then theres probably a cure.

CurlyWhirly 22:19 24 Jan 05

I used to have a Creative soundcard with my VIA chipset and even though I suffered NO crashes, I had to go back to onboard sound as I had 'clicking noises' coming from the speakers.
After some research, I discovered that it was caused by PCI latency.
I even downloaded the PCI latency patch, but that still failed to work.

theDarkness 22:29 24 Jan 05

I have no idea what make of VIA it is since this motherboard is actually a replacement to the old one which died on me a few months back... (MY LUCK!) If I still had the old board then my pc would be 2 yrs old now though, so I assume its around the same era.

Probably doesnt help much, but my pc only crashes when my speakers are plugged into the jack on the sound board (green)

Totally-braindead 22:32 24 Jan 05

I suppose you've tried the Creative website for updated drivers in case thats the problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…