What's a good de-frag program ?

TommyRed 15:18 01 Oct 03

The windows de-frag took 4 hours and according to PC Pitstop it was 58% fragmented before de-frag and 36% after, not very good for 4 hours work. So I'm after a program that'll be a lot quicker and much more effecient. PC Pitstop also mentioned enabling DMA mode but I get a warning if I try and enable it, any thoughts ? Thanks TR

expertec 15:27 01 Oct 03

Diskeeper Lite click here

mammak 15:29 01 Oct 03

click here try this,Mammak

mammak 15:31 01 Oct 03

Oops expertec, bit of a cross on our posts sorry about that.

alcudia 15:54 01 Oct 03

Sorry to but in. The Web Attack site states that this is for 98/NT/ME/2000, but does not mention XP. But the screenshot is from XP. Can I take it that it will work on XP without problems.

Apologies again.

Barriew 16:10 01 Oct 03

Yes it does, but its not a lot quicker or more thorough than the XP defrag prog. I suspect that the windows prog is a version of Diskeeper light - the UI is very similar.

Barrie

alcudia 16:12 01 Oct 03

Thanks very much

TommyRed 16:49 01 Oct 03

Can diskeeper Lite run in the basckgound whilst I'm surfing the Net? I realise that it would probably slow things up. TR

Stuartli 16:52 01 Oct 03

Are you sure you haven't got a screensaver running?

The fact that your drive was so defragmented appears to indicate you don't defrag on a regular basis - the worse I have ever had on a 20GB drive was about 94 per cent and that was after several weeks' use.

I wouldn't have thought that using other than the inhuilt Windows defrag would make much difference in the speed or efficiency.

woodchip 16:54 01 Oct 03

Speed Disc is what I use, Part of Norton Utilities

Stuartli 16:55 01 Oct 03

Re using defrag whilst surfing - the program will not be able to defrag properly and it's best to let it get on with its job alone; same if programs are left open rather than closing everything possible down.

I find that moving the mouse slightly every 10-15 minutes, depending on how long your screensaver is set to kick in, ensures the minimum time for a defrag.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…