What's going on?

Pineman100 11:07 28 Jun 06

This morning when I switched on my Win XP Home SP2 computer, My Norton Internet Security insisted that it should be re-activated with the Symantec website. I'm only about halfway through my current subscription period.

When I then switched on my USB external backup HDD, Windows insisted on searching for and reinstalling the software for my infra-red keyboard and mouse.

Everything on my system is legal and kosher, and I have not made any soft- or hardware changes recently.

Can anyone please explain what's going on?

spuds 13:08 28 Jun 06

What happens, if you do a reboot!.

Have you run any 'anti'ware checks lately!.

Pineman100 17:45 28 Jun 06

Thanks for your reply Spuds. I have rebooted and there is no repetition of this morning's surpises - but they were all done and finished this morning.

I haven't run a Norton full system scan yet, but it's a good idea. I'll do it this evening.

spuds 18:05 28 Jun 06

Seems like you might have just had a minor 'blip' in the system.

Download and run these two free programs (if you haven't already tried them) Ewido click here a2 click here See if they find anything!.

Pineman100 19:13 28 Jun 06

Thanks Spuds, but I already have Norton Internet Security, Microsoft Windows Defender, Adaware and Spybot S & D. I feel that any further malware software is probably going to be a bit overkill!
I'm going to run scans with all of these this evening.

Thanks again for your help.

VCR97 21:04 29 Jun 06

I used to have NIS and it often prompted for re-activation. I got fed-up and eventually got rid of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…